Correx crown boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
F P do correx crown boards does anyone know if they're any good ?

We have found that the Correx crown boards supplied by beehivesupplies from Gunnislake Cornwall for their polly Nationals to be excellent, cutting two holes to accommodate 2 rapid feeders in a super worked really well... and have not had any problem with bees gluing them down.. even the Carniolians!
Correx seems to be suitable for crownboards.... mat even get some cut up for the cedar Nationals!

Only draw back I can think of is the possibility of condensation in the colder months.

Colin

Not if the roof is well insulated - then there'll be no cold surface for anything to condense on. ;)

Only draw back I can think of is the possibility of condensation in the colder months.

Colin

That needn't be a problem if you insulate properly.

There are however two drawbacks
1- generally, you can't see through it (though I'm sure someone must make clear correx - for garden cloches perhaps?)
2- its going to sag somewhat if you choose to put a feeder on top (although this also requires cutting a hole in it to convert it from a crown board to a feeder board.) And if it sags, the beespace will be compromised and the bees will get to work with prop and wax...

Don't know how many do them just wanted to know if they were any good as far cheaper than wooden ones !!!!

You can either wait for the Th***es sale or get B*q to cut up 9mm ply sheet to make some far cheaper either way.

Buy a large sheet from a builders merchant as it is used to protect nearly laid flooring

easy to cut 46CM SQUARES

I've looked MM and cant find it can you say which Builders Merchant you saw it?

Thanks

try jewsons

I did Derek and all I'll say was they were less than enthused and couldn't be bothered to look for me or acknowledge they sold it.

Thanks will look in the morning

Last edited:
I bought 900x600x4mm clear twin wall sheet for our solar wax melter, has reached temps in excess of 100 deg C, got it from b&q cost about £10.00. It's not really clear but enough to see whether the wax has melted. I went to a local plastics company and bought off cuts of poly carbonet cut to size last year, works great and can take weight of feeders to. Over the winter only got condensation around the edges of the board near the hive walls.

Cedar

I have some of the correx crown boards FP supply with their cheap ply hives.

Main immediate problem is the national hives expect a beespace rim, and it's only one 4mm correx strip glued on. Not really enough for a beespace. They won't take weight of a feeder either, too flexible and the beespace disappears. As supplied, only used temporarily when nothing else available, I bought a few ply boards at sale time, or you could make your own with ply and battens, Another correx strip to make an 8mm rim would be another possibility.

I do use correx crown boards over topspace on nucs, recycled estate agent boards. Nothing against the material and the more rigid clear polycarbonate corotherm is a possible alternative but the FP ones are not a great product.

Latest posts

Back