Correx nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My local primary school is receiving next week by post a correx nuc of bees and until the school apiary is ready I plan to place in my own apiary.
Any tips on dealing with a correx nuc and how quickly to transfer to a poly nuc.

My local primary school is receiving next week by post a correx nuc of bees and until the school apiary is ready I plan to place in my own apiary.
Any tips on dealing with a correx nuc and how quickly to transfer to a poly nuc.
As long as you're happy with the health provenance to live in your apiary and the correx is not damaged you should be ok for a few days. The correx box will be poorly insulated so hot sun without shade could be a problem worth considering/avoiding. However I believe you're in OSR country so I'd think about transferring into a full brood box ASAP or they might start to boom and trigger swarm preps.

Most nucs suppled by the main suppliers are large and fit to be transferred asap! Some of the correx types have a gap under the frame lugs and if left for some time may start to attach comb.
I’d also suggest transferring to a hive body not another nuc as you’re only gaining a single frame.
Simply transfer over adding a frame of foundation up against the brood area on both sides then any frames of stores and then any remaining frames. You can rotate any remaining foundation in on further inspections.

If the school already has a hive to transfer into it would be best to get hold of it and transfer at your apiary until they are ready to take it.

Latest posts

Back