Converstaion with Bako

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Further to Fireflies post I called Bako and spent some 10 minutes with my local account manager being briefed on their position.

They are not opening up any more fondant only accounts as the management cost is too high.

They are suggesting that either individuals with existing accounts, like myself offer to group an order so that the truck is delivering a couple of tons, or Associations group an order and set up an account. Or, you approach say a baker with an account and order via him.

They are keen not to lose our business but are also keen to keep their costs under control.

I hope this clarifies matters.

PH

What is the cost benefit of of ordering in bulk or consolidating an order?
I can get it from my local baker for £15 per 12.5kg box
I don't usually get through more than a box each winter so for me it's unlikley to be worth it.

I forgot to ask the current price TBH, but last year I paid £12.50 per block.

PH

I'm going to have to ask, slightly off topic. As a beginner though I'm keen to learn. I'm currently feeding Ambrosia fondant (Happened to be in Th**nes shop and got a few packs. Is there any great benefit/difference etc. to feeding bakers fondant to Ambrosia, other than obvious price?

No real difference,you are just paying more.

Am I right in thinking each Bako region is totally autonomous, so what happens in one area has no bearing on the others?

i think you are right. SW certainly appears to have different policys to others i have heard about...

I thought it might be fun ringing Santa - just to check if the chimney was still the right size and would it matter if it was capped. I didn't bother - as I knew he would be busy at this time of the year, checking out his 'rain dear' to see if it would turn to snow.

I thought it might be fun ringing Santa - just to check if the chimney was still the right size and would it matter if it was capped. I didn't bother - as I knew he would be busy at this time of the year, checking out his 'rain dear' to see if it would turn to snow.

Been testing out the Christmas mead Mr Tractor man?

BTW my littlest one has called his "Massey Ferguson 5470" Steve... I
don't know why !

:driving::driving::driving:

Really!

I had a word with the manager last week at the branch of Bookers we use and he said sugar was about to go up but I didn't think it would be that much of a jump.

PH

PH 6 weeks ago it was £13-10 but then it went up 2 weeks ago a mighty jump to £15-07 this was the northern branch which comes down to lincs and leics they told me sugar goes up weekly

What a surprise,will soon be double what we pay from our Bako then.

I spoke to the south-west sales rep today as there are a few people within a couple of miles of me who would be interested in purchasing and I can't go taking advantage of other people's goodwill all the time to get mine. He seemed quite happy to have me as a member, but we were both quite clear that they'd never be able to deliver to me on an 18 tonne lorry and that instead I'd have to collect it from them. Not exactly a big problem though -- it's probably only 15 minutes from where the kids are at school and I can always combine it with a trip to Mole Valley Farmers.

James

I'm going to have to ask, slightly off topic. As a beginner though I'm keen to learn. I'm currently feeding Ambrosia fondant (Happened to be in Th**nes shop and got a few packs. Is there any great benefit/difference etc. to feeding bakers fondant to Ambrosia, other than obvious price?

For a single hive, do you really need to buy it in? It is simple enough to make up as you need it - 1 kg sugar, just under half pint of water, 1 teaspoon liquid glucose, mix together, boil until clear and thickening, try a drop on a cool plate and if it soft sets it is ready. Stick it in sealed plastc container until needed but use reasonably quickly unless thymolised. Simple (and cheap) tsk.

Fondant

Hi Everyone,

No commercial advertising.

Last edited by a moderator:
but use reasonably quickly unless thymolised.

Please explain why that might be? Honey does not ferment at under 20% so why should there be any problem with fondant, with little over half that water content?

No need to tell new beeks things like that. Some seem to find enough to worry about without being told the likes of the above! There is a 12.5kg box of fondant under my computer station here. Been there about 4 years. Might need to use some of it this winter.

RAB

Latest posts

Back