Continue or quit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my colony is queenless?

Bee colonies just tend not to be queenless if left to their own devices. Quite usually there is a queen just waiting to start laying. I'm sure they play a game sometimes with worried Beek tasked with overseeing them.

Could you not write a letter to the education officer Believe me Karen, if I had any idea who it was I would, but I have no contacts beside what is listed on the website - the Treasurer, sec. (my mentor) and webmaster. I haven't yet had a yearbook listing who's who - or even where the assoc. apiary is - so I can't get myself there and plead! Have left a message for my nuc. provider, just hope he isn't on hols!

MuswellMetro - They still seem to be loaded when they land, however, even if it all sorted by then (which I doubt) you would be a welcome visitor! We are roughly 5-7 miles away from Sidmouth- so if you fancy tea and a bun - pm me, and I'll cook!

My advice (fwiw) is that you have a virgin and to leave them alone to let them get on with it which not really surprisingly they do rather well having had a bit more practice at it than most of us...LOL

In a couple of weeks with luck they will be a different ball game.

Remember that temper is also badly affected by weather and ours here has not been good and if they are a bit "iffy" to start with and minus a dose of the right pheromone too then........beware.

Just try to relax and enjoy them from outside. :)

PH

MB. Quite true - most of the time. I inspected one of mine on Friday at an out paiary. Only sealed brood. A couple of sealed emergency queencells that's all. No sign of any other queencells old or new. This was a 2010 queen that had laid up 12 frames in a double brood National hive. She must have stopped laying for a few days so there was nothing to tell the bees that there was a problem. By the time they realised all they could do was to make emergency cells.

Dont give up is there any member on here local to you. If you think you have no queen she may just be hiding and you may be worrying for no reason i feel that we are just the observers bees have looked after themselves since time began enjoy them for what they do, What about asking your local BKA to see if any younger members can take the hive on but you assist them in your garden (a bit like hire your hive to them but reep the joy of still having your bees and enjoyment from them)
Im up in Manchester but would leap at the chance if i was close to you to full fill your dream of having them. i feel you got the bees for the pollination side and the joy to watch them like i do with mine
sad as i am have a cctv at the entrance so i can and do watch them on my TV in the comfort of the living room for hours its better than any of the rubbish they put on these days
KEEP GOING DON'T GIVE UP:iagree:

[I haven't yet had a yearbook listing who's who - or even where the assoc. apiary is

just checked with my friend in camborne in the better part of Western Wales as it was callled and he suggests you contact david Packham FERA seasonal Bee inspector for East devon and tell him your plight

Seasonal Bee Inspector

David Packham
[email protected]
Tel No: 01392 881253
Tel 07775119463

or failing that start at the top and work down

Regional Bee Inspector Adam Vevers
[email protected]
Tel No: 01364 653474
Mobile No: 07775 119453
Seasonal Bee Inspectors Peter Auger
[email protected]
Tel No: 01237 473710

Patrick Brooks
[email protected]
Tel No: 01643 705605

Clare Densley
[email protected]
Tel No: 01626 211684

Susan Hoult
[email protected]
Tel No: 01566 774618

Simon Jones
[email protected]
Tel No: 01823 443737

Jo Widdicombe
[email protected]
Tel No: 01752 822335

My advice (fwiw) is that you have a virgin and to leave them alone to let them get on with it which not really surprisingly they do rather well having had a bit more practice at it than most of us...LOL

In a couple of weeks with luck they will be a different ball game.

Remember that temper is also badly affected by weather and ours here has not been good and if they are a bit "iffy" to start with and minus a dose of the right pheromone too then........beware.

Just try to relax and enjoy them from outside. :)

PH
Yep, taking a deep breath - and allowing my stings to recover! They must know what they are doing - like you say...relax..in..out..in..out and I mean BREATHING!

Dont give up is there any member on here local to you. If you think you have no queen she may just be hiding and you may be worrying for no reason i feel that we are just the observers bees have looked after themselves since time began enjoy them for what they do, What about asking your local BKA to see if any younger members can take the hive on but you assist them in your garden (a bit like hire your hive to them but reep the joy of still having your bees and enjoyment from them)
Im up in Manchester but would leap at the chance if i was close to you to full fill your dream of having them. i feel you got the bees for the pollination side and the joy to watch them like i do with mine
sad as i am have a cctv at the entrance so i can and do watch them on my TV in the comfort of the living room for hours its better than any of the rubbish they put on these days
KEEP GOING DON'T GIVE UP:iagree:
asking your local BKA to see if any younger members can take the hive Crikey 44, and feel ancient! If I could contact any of the local assoc. I would, but the Treasurer doesn't answer email ditto others! They don't like communication...
Fairly sure my Q is gone, she wasn't a hider - always dead centre of the frame saying 'Hello!! Here I am, aren't I pretty?' And the red dot stood out like neon (she was dotted the wrong colour).

[I haven't yet had a yearbook listing who's who - or even where the assoc. apiary is

just checked with my friend in camborne in the better part of Western Wales as it was callled and he suggests you contact david Packham FERA seasonal Bee inspector for East devon and tell him your plight

Seasonal Bee Inspector

David Packham
[email protected]
Tel No: 01392 881253
Tel 07775119463

or failing that start at the top and work down

Regional Bee Inspector Adam Vevers
[email protected]
Tel No: 01364 653474
Mobile No: 07775 119453
Seasonal Bee Inspectors Peter Auger
[email protected]
Tel No: 01237 473710

Patrick Brooks
[email protected]
Tel No: 01643 705605

Clare Densley
[email protected]
Tel No: 01626 211684

Susan Hoult
[email protected]
Tel No: 01566 774618

Simon Jones
[email protected]
Tel No: 01823 443737

Jo Widdicombe
[email protected]
Tel No: 01752 822335

Off to the telephone, thanks MM!

Queens59,
As others have already said, it would be a great shame if you decide to stop quite so soon. I hope you decide to continue and work out a plan for yourself, especially after reading 15 bee books (that is a sign of serious committment!)

If it was me I would try and organise the following:

1. Place an ad online or in the local paper to invite anyone interested in beekeeping to get in touch so that you can take the adventure forward with a new person. Their potential lack of experience can be a bonus as well as the discovery of beekeeping could be great fun.

2. I would buy myself a manipulation cloth (I got one from Thornes and I deploy it when the girls are a little angst ridden - it works a treat). It helps control their levels of fear and numbers.

3. I would also try and relax about being queenless for a couple of weeks longer. I got quite stressed about it earlier this year myself but actually, as stated earlier in the thread, the girls tend to sort themself out. We can help influence things but we can tend to overreact too and get in the way.

4. I would try one more time to get hold of the local association folks and if you get no joy you could try another association in the next area. (************************/ - was meant to point to the BBKA website...?!?)
It may also pay to have a chat with the local bee inspector and see if he knows someone who would mentor you - a Google search should locate him if you cannot find him on the BBKA website.

It seems that you have a passion for bees and so it would be a real waste to turn away at this stage. I believe that, should you want to, you can work a plan out to enable you to enjoy your hobby.

I hope that you are reporting lots of harvested honey to us this time next year,

All the best,
Sam.

Last edited:
Thanks MM!

He is coming on Wednesday at about 2.30, dressed for attack! I can relax until then, really nice replies and didn't make me feel like I was 'fussing or having a panic about nothing'!

I must admit I thought inspectors were there for big problems like EFB or AFB, not just 'not right'. However, he was more than happy to come over. Thanks again for that suggestion MM.

And can I please thank EVERYONE for their lovely responses and comments - I've never done anything I didn't understand 100% or if I was it was with great support. This is the first time I have felt totally lost and alone...and responsible for my girls I guess. This has made me realise in reality I am not alone as I have you lot to help - and go above and beyond...and the offer of a cuppa is still there MM and any others who risk Devon for a holiday!

Last edited:
Queens59,
As others have already said, it would be a great shame if you decide to stop quite so soon. I hope you decide to continue and work out a plan for yourself, especially after reading 15 bee books (that is a sign of serious committment!)

If it was me I would try and organise the following:

1. Place an ad online or in the local paper to invite anyone interested in beekeeping to get in touch so that you can take the adventure forward with a new person. Their potential lack of experience can be a bonus as well as the discovery of beekeeping could be great fun.

2. I would buy myself a manipulation cloth (I got one from Thornes and I deploy it when the girls are a little angst ridden - it works a treat). It helps control their levels of fear and numbers.

3. I would also try and relax about being queenless for a couple of weeks longer. I got quite stressed about it earlier this year myself but actually, as stated earlier in the thread, the girls tend to sort themself out. We can help influence things but we can tend to overreact too and get in the way.

4. I would try one more time to get hold of the local association folks and if you get no joy you could try another association in the next area. (************************/ - was meant to point to the BBKA website...?!?)
It may also pay to have a chat with the local bee inspector and see if he knows someone who would mentor you - a Google search should locate him if you cannot find him on the BBKA website.

It seems that you have a passion for bees and so it would be a real waste to turn away at this stage. I believe that, should you want to, you can work a plan out to enable you to enjoy your hobby.

I hope that you are reporting lots of harvested honey to us this time next year,

All the best,
Sam.

Excellent advice.

I'm so glad you are feeling better about things Queens :) You make an excellent beekeeper. You didn't make a fuss over nothing, these are living creatures we are caring for and the fact that you were so worried goes to show how well you are going to care for these bees. Lucky, pretty bees :)

MM is great, isn't he. I'm glad you got someone to come and support you. Wish i lived nearer the south lol. Please let me know what happens on Wednesday :)

Take care

Karen x

Queens - I do know how you feel with the 'should I have gone into it' thoughts. I have felt the same since getting my hive mid-May as I was so nervous, especially after the little darlings laid into the front of my leg a couple of weeks ago! My other half (bless him) helped me change the brood box yesterday (wasn't sitting quite right) and I felt so nervous beforehand I was on the verge of being sick. But considering the upheaval moving brood and thousands of bees being temporarily dislodged everything went really well and I breathed a million sighs of relief when the roof went back on!

I really hope everything works out ok for you. I love Sidmouth (particulary the Donkey Sanctuary!) and would love to call in if we are ever that way. 'specially for cream tea!

Best wishes

FB bee-smillie

My scones aren't great but my victoria sandwich is amazing...mind you my other halfs scones are goooood....

Queens59,
Do you make

Scones

or

Scooooones

:biggrinjester:

Just thought I would check...

Sam

Sorry to hear of your problems...but where there's a will and a dozen beekeepers there will be a lot of writing :). And some great ideas.

I'd seriously consider top bar hives too. They really do make things easier if lifting and grumpy bees are issues. Which, lets face it, they are or will be for everyone at some point. Too many beekeepers give up when the lifting becomes too much.

Two clean tea towels are more use than a manipulation cloth and way cheaper too.

Two clean tea towels are more use than a manipulation cloth and way cheaper too.

That depends,my wife found 3 of her best tea towels in the back of the car last week in the bee bucket !!
Cost me a new pair of shoes..

Latest posts

Back