Confused about frame support in a swienty

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I mentioned the strange plastic frame support in another thread.
I've just received the attached image from the lady beekeeper who has swapped the frames out into the Abelo polyhive I loaned her. I'm not familiar with her previous hive so can anyone tell me if this is standard for the hive, a wrongly assembled hive or someone has introduced a non standard variation? The plastic moulding is glued or bonded in.IMG-20210427-WA0004.jpgIMG-20210427-WA0005.jpg

I mentioned the strange plastic frame support in another thread.
I've just received the attached image from the lady beekeeper who has swapped the frames out into the Abelo polyhive I loaned her. I'm not familiar with her previous hive so can anyone tell me if this is standard for the hive, a wrongly assembled hive or someone has introduced a non standard variation? The plastic moulding is glued or bonded in.View attachment 25708View attachment 25709

Whatever it is, it doesn't work...there's a lot of excessively squashed bees!

I think it's been attached incorrectly, thus giving no space under the lugs; the runner is flush with the top side of the box. Also,hard to say from the image (and I don't have experience with Swienty), but the top bee-space was probably excessive.

My swientys are old and that bits not in those, frames sit on the flat rebate. That looks like a non standard addition. Or at best meant to sit on flat rebate if it doesn’t raise the frames to much.

Lol have they pushed runner in upside down. Those boxes in the video are the new version though and your box in question looks like an old 1 although I may be wrong.

This is the rebate on the old style boxes

Attachments

• C0716BC8-F8FF-4766-8BA2-0B32881840B4.jpeg
    C0716BC8-F8FF-4766-8BA2-0B32881840B4.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 28
if this is standard for the hive, a wrongly assembled hive or someone has introduced a non standard variation?
The Swienty is a mess and the lug recess is only one fault.

The original design was TBS: boxes had no runners and frame lugs sat on the ledge, as in Ian's photo. This set-up slows down frame management slightly because bees must be persuaded to move out of the way by jiggling the lugs as they're put back; if not, the result is plenty of squashed bees.

You'll notice that the base of the box has a 35mm rim. This is not an issue when TBS because the rim will have beespace below it, but when set up as BBS much of that rim sits on the top bars below, leading to squashing, glued boxes and irritated bees.

Look at the roof: as TBS there's beespace between top bar and roof. As BBS, the roof is glued to the top bars and bees are usually squashed when it's put back on.

The Swienty Ashforth feeder is further evidence that the system was TBS: no beespace on the base, so an 8mm rim must be added to prevent squashed bees.

Why these BBS anomalies? Swienty must have realised after a few years of TBS production that compatibility with the UK BBS system might generate greater sales and so they re-designed the box partially, converting the top of the box to BBS (by adding plastic runners) but not the bottom, and nor the feeder or the roof.

If that wasn't bodge enough, the new roof rim curved to meet the matching box top rim. This didn't work and Swienty withdrew it after a couple of seasons and re-introduced the previous square-cut roof.

The BMH video shows the thin box wall in the top bar rebate. Yes, bees chew through, but either glue in the runner or a strip of plastic to the end wall. Worse issue is that the lug rebates are too wide and frames often slop about and become propolised to the end wall.

Why do Swienty still produce such a compromised design? Presumably because they can't justify redesigning the mould again to rectify issues which should have been field-trialled and resolved years ago.

Why do UK beekeepers buy it? Because they don't check or ask or know, but rely on blind faith in the manufacturer and believe they're saving money.

Which is better value? Transport costs are based on volume and flatpack is cheaper than a box of air, so a Swienty box seems the obvious choice at £21.72 from CWynne Jones rather than an Abelo at £25. The Swienty takes a short time to glue and bang together; both will need paint; £29 buys a painted Abelo ready to go.

When all is said and done the base difference of £3.28 is well worth paying because the Abelo is designed properly, designed to be entirely compatible with wood hives and so fit for the purpose of quicker and smoother field use.

This last point may not matter to a two-hive beekeeper (though it will to their bees) but running 50 or 500 poorly designed beehives will always be more expensive in long-term labour costs, not to mention the cursing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back