Complete dead out !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
I have two hives about three feet apart.
I treat for Varroa.
They have insulation around the hive
Both colonies survived up until now.
Just checked them.
Both have fondant on them
One is very busy right now.
The other colony that seemed to be ok a week or so ago is now completely dead.
All heaped on the OMF.
Any suggestions as to a sudden collapse ?

I have two hives about three feet apart.
I treat for Varroa.
They have insulation around the hive
Both colonies survived up until now.
Just checked them.
Both have fondant on them
One is very busy right now.
The other colony that seemed to be ok a week or so ago is now completely dead.
All heaped on the OMF.
Any suggestions as to a sudden collapse ?
Snap and sympathy. See my similar post of a few days ago.
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threa...e-the-super-full-of-stores.56395/#post-893599

Just received a newsletter from the local mob. Attached is a snippet from it…
730B7ADD-C0D0-4276-8397-C504EF209C26.jpeg

As it is winter and well into brood rearing at this time of year, the usual two or three suspects have to be visited . Varroa , starvation often can be a combo of the two or queen failure.
The pics are handy for a autopsy of the colony in general.

Lost a colony today.

When treating them with apibioxal early January, I noticed numbers seemed low, so I assume it was a heat issue, lack of numbers.

Didn’t have time to get a proper look though.

Was there anything I could have done to save them in early January? Uniting them with another colony perhaps?

Was there anything I could have done to save them in early January? Uniting them with another colony perhaps?
Likely not
What would you have been saving? A few old maybe unhealthy bees?
You could have saved them if they were starving. Were they?

numbers seemed low, so I assume it was a heat issue, lack of numbers.
anything I could have done to save them in early January?
Put them in a poly nuc.

Didn’t have time to get a proper look
Chance on Friday, Sunday and Monday to pull a frame out when temps in C. Armagh are in double figures. Shake out if they're Q- onto a sloping board leading up to a Q+ colony entrance. Don't try it the rest of the week because you'll be in single figures by then.

I found a tiddly colony today with an opened QC from late last year, no BIAS and a virgin in residence; it happens.

Winter survival is all about what occurs during Autumn management.
Superscedure is out of our control and for the most part often isn't known until spring.
Appropriate main varroa control, method and timing by Octobers end , not in November or December. A one off vape in early/mid Dec for broodless parasitic stage control and feeding /stores correctly allocated .

Still way too late if a main treatment.
The only worthwhile treatment after November is a one off broodless colony vape during the first week or two of December to rid of any parasitic mites. Again timing and temps for a loose cluster need to be taken in to account.

I'm not dissing anyones procedure but simply highlighting how our experiences can help educate other beeks in the region to be more accountable in their magament and timings for better survival rates.

Latest posts

Back