Commercial links number 2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I would like to know if we will be allowed to put a QR code as our avatar or in our posts?

Works for me as i dont have a smart phone so wouldnt be able to use it lol

Why would you want to ?
Is it to circumvent the forums rules..

And the spirit of the forum is? To announce whenever oThern's or any other company has a sale, but exclude any reference to commercial beekeepers?

Actually I do not have an issue with this forum about commercial advertising and the Beekeeping Directory has been a move in the right direction.

On other forums where advertising and commercial links are allowed we don't see this being misused.

Commercial beekeepers have always been the source of important inventions and innovation, often at substantial cost both in time and finances.

When there is an obvious negative/aggressive attitude towards commercial beekeepers and their business, don't expect to get any information/advice from them. There are many things that are not written in books, or on the internet, that are the result of decades of working with bees. Experience matters!

When there is an obvious negative/aggressive attitude towards commercial beekeepers

Thats a little strong.
I try to protect the forum from being a free for all in regards to commercial selling.

I run a forum and my roll is to protect its members while giving them an enjoyable place to visit,while your job is to sell your product.

A lot comes down to the reason you visit the forum,do you login to help members or to sell a product ?
The main beekeeping suppliers/farmers are all members but have no trouble with the forum rules.
We will always be at odds unless you except the forum rules.

There is always posts when big T is having a sale,but also many references to yourself supplying Queens.

As I mentioned above, I have no issues with the forum being ad free and it is not visited with a view to selling anything, I would have thought that is obvious from the posts made over the past few years.

You can run administrate it anyway you see fit, including the banning of members who abuse the PM system, if you wish to make the forum a pleasant place to visit and not be a free for all.

Are we allowed to put a QR code on the forum? I wouldn't want to go against forum rules.

Is a QR code a form of advertising ?

I think more identification than advertising. You would have to actively scan it to find out what lies beneath. It could not be classified as spam.

Are people allowed to include their business name in their username (genuine question, dont know the answer)? If so that is far more obvious.

Is a QR code a form of advertising ?

Yes is the straight answer. You take a photo of the code square with your phone with a QR app installed. It then leads you directly to the website of the "advertiser". Marginally slower than clicking on a link but same result.

Yes is the straight answer. You take a photo of the code square with your phone with a QR app installed. It then leads you directly to the website of the "advertiser". Marginally slower than clicking on a link but same result.

In which case it is as clear advertising as having your URL in your sig. Perhaps more so because it would be only commercial people who had them were as there may be sigs with a URL (If they were allowed) to another site (Non commercial).

"Commercial beekeepers have always been the source of important inventions and innovation, often at substantial cost both in time and finances.

When there is an obvious negative/aggressive attitude towards commercial beekeepers and their business, don't expect to get any information/advice from them"

There are some who say that the commercial ways of keeping bees (as practised widely in a cut down form throughout the UK) places the emphasis on honey production above all else, whereas amateur beekeepers may have different priorities.

My view is that this forum should have room for all the many types of beekeepers, but am somewhat at a loss to understand this persistent "push" to allow commercial links - as I've said before, the only people to gain from them are those doing the spamming (for that is what it is!) - links on fora count towards Google rankings, and they're just seeking a "free ride" - I'm all for a simple "no commercial links whatsoever" - as this thread demonstrates, every single link could be a source of debate/ill-feeling/accusations of "fiddling", and most of all, takes up loads of the admin team's valuable time!

"Commercial beekeepers have always been the source of important inventions and innovation, often at substantial cost both in time and finances.

When there is an obvious negative/aggressive attitude towards commercial beekeepers and their business, don't expect to get any information/advice from them"

There are some who say that the commercial ways of keeping bees (as practised widely in a cut down form throughout the UK) places the emphasis on honey production above all else, whereas amateur beekeepers may have different priorities.

My view is that this forum should have room for all the many types of beekeepers, but am somewhat at a loss to understand this persistent "push" to allow commercial links - as I've said before, the only people to gain from them are those doing the spamming (for that is what it is!) - links on fora count towards Google rankings, and they're just seeking a "free ride" - I'm all for a simple "no commercial links whatsoever" - as this thread demonstrates, every single link could be a source of debate/ill-feeling/accusations of "fiddling", and most of all, takes up loads of the admin team's valuable time!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

:iagree:

Perhaps there should be a place.. on the header.. with links to all the commercial beekeeperers/ suppliers etc with them coughing up a few shillings towards forum costs?

If Fornes / Panes / C Winnie jones etc do not want to subscribe... that's up to them!

I like to see users comments about both the good and the bad and the merely ugly products and services... I don't get upset by honest critisism, but I draw back from obviously aggressive advertising.. particularly for bees that will upset the delicatly ballanced gene pool

Let the bile flow ?
So no to spotty pics thanks!!!

"with links to all the commercial beekeeperers/ suppliers etc" - why? - who are they, is there any guarantee that they're any good?........It would be selling out the forum's independence just as surely as the thickets in the BBKA sold theirs to Big Pestco.......

"I like to see users comments about both the good and the bad and the merely ugly products and services.."

Is yet again a recipe for utter mayhem, and even more work for the admin team........ open to all sorts of abuse, and yet again providing employment for private detectives to ascertain which are good, bad and downright crooked (and a bunch of legal eagles to deal with claims of defamation and libel.........)

"with links to all the commercial beekeeperers/ suppliers etc" - why? - who are they, is there any guarantee that they're any good?........It would be selling out the forum's independence just as surely as the thickets in the BBKA sold theirs to Big Pestco.......

"I like to see users comments about both the good and the bad and the merely ugly products and services.."

Is yet again a recipe for utter mayhem, and even more work for the admin team........ open to all sorts of abuse, and yet again providing employment for private detectives to ascertain which are good, bad and downright crooked (and a bunch of legal eagles to deal with claims of defamation and libel.........)

:hurray:

I was playing devils advocate!
:iagree: Brassville, independence is not a bad thing.. so the status quo should remain!

Latest posts

Back