Combination hive tool

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I usually use the 'normal' hive tool with a scraper chisel blade at one end and a bent blade at the other .. although I have the J type one in my bee box as well. I recognise that there are nearly as many hive tool designs as there are Langstroth hives:

http://www.thorne.co.uk/hardware-clothing/tools

But .. I saw this combination one on ebay today and wondered if anyone else thought it was a good idea .. certainly not a bad price and stainless steel as well ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-Bee-...nless-Steel-/151779283960?hash=item2356c013f8

What do you use ?

The type on eBay is the one I use. The J has ridges on it though.
Husband hates it and just uses J/Flat end

I make my own that is based on the scraper type but a bit longer and narrower in the middle for comfort.

Yes ..that's the one I use...very useful for lifting the bars....the ridges stop it from slipping so easily.

My old bent screwdriver works as well as any fancy tool I have seen.
I suppose hobbyists must have every beekeepering gadget going!

Bet Finny finman uses an old bicycle tyre lever or similar!!
#
Yeghes da

Screw drivers not much good for scraping in my experience and do alot of damage when trying to lever boxes apart. On the other hand hive tools not very good for screwing!

I was given one of those combi hive tools and tried it a few times, but it now sits in the box because I found the J-hook part got in the way during inspections.

If somebody would make a hive tool with a J-hook at one end, and the curved part of the 'traditional' hive tool at the other end, it would be the one I use most often - but then maybe not, because it'd be useless for separating propolised boxes.

I was given one of those combi hive tools and tried it a few times, but it now sits in the box because I found the J-hook part got in the way during inspections.

If somebody would make a hive tool with a J-hook at one end, and the curved part of the 'traditional' hive tool at the other end, it would be the one I use most often - but then maybe not, because it'd be useless for separating propolised boxes.

That's inevitably the problem with combination tools .. there is usually something about them that affects the use of the individual components ... apart from my Swiss Army Knife .. which always seems to work !! Perhaps that's what we need ... a Swiss Army Hive Tool ... where's JBM ? There's another marketing opportunity !!

Screw drivers not much good for scraping in my experience and do alot of damage when trying to lever boxes apart. On the other hand hive tools not very good for screwing!

Has to be bent to the correct profile.. I use my thumbs to gently prize the frames apart... unencumbered by boxing glove style beekeepering gloves so loved by the TV beekeeping presenters!
In fact the end is bent.... similar to the J tool
For scraping I have a nice old 2inch chisel!

Yeghes da

Has to be bent to the correct profile.. I use my thumbs to gently prize the frames apart..

Yeghes da

I usually separate frames with my thumbs as well.. once you have a space it's usually quite easy to push them apart but you are right - couldn't do it with thick gloves on.

I usually separate frames with my thumbs as well.. once you have a space it's usually quite easy to push them apart but you are right - couldn't do it with thick gloves on.

+1

I bought one of the combination hive tools from a sale at T's.
It has gone rusty lol.
Great for stainless steel.
In don't use it.

I use one/two similar, one obtained from Sherif and the other from .. hmmm can't remember. Both bought at the National Honey show(Woking). Both of mine have serated hooks which enables them to grip the frames without them slipping, making lifting frames easier. One has a left hook and the other a right hook. I use them all the time.

With a couple of tools to choose from my favourite is the J tool. The end is painted red and the bees "with attitude" always go for that first - telling me to pick up the smoker next, I always think!

I use 2 J tools ----- one in each hand. Avoids me, absently, passing tool to the other hand across the frames.

Back