colony extraction from loft

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parttimer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Although I hav collected many swarms I have never removed an entire colony from a loft space. Iv not seen it yet or know if I can get access to it but was wondering if anyone had any tips they could share with me?
Thanks part timer.

Is it def bees?? If so...
Large box, and if swarm only, bang in as usual - return later- keep light off, just use torch shining low to your feet only, seal and remove.

If established- take a buddy to help and a few boxes - be prepared to take comb off in layers and place gently upright in a box. Continue through the comb extricating gently and placing in the boxes. When comb removed seal those boxes but leave one small box with some comb and brood- return later ro remove rest- same instructions with torch.- light will set them flying.

It is going to be SUPER hot in there at the moment so bottles of water if it is along job! Also the wax will be very soft and bendy!

Find an assistant who is keen to gain some experience and get them to pass all the bits down through the loft hatch to you.

Why would you need a vac??- unless in an inaccessible space- very traumatic. If bees established and visible just gently transfer into a box as I suggested above.

Latest posts

Back