Colony extraction from stable wall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angularity

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A friend has asked me to remove a colony from between the wooden walls of their stable. The colony appears to be restricted between the studs in the wall, an area of about three feet square.
My initial plan is to cut away the chipboard indoors with a chainsaw (no electricity available) then put as much comb into frames in a brood box, giving time for spare bees to move towards the queen. I could do with some suggestions, though.

Good to go in from the chip board interior as easier to repair. If time allows I’d cut the access and leave for a day. Chainsaws and vibrations have a habit of driving bees off the comb and into extremes of the cavity. A skill saw would be better setting the depth of blade to a fraction deeper than the thickness of board. Guessing boards are nail gunned and not screwed?

Good to go in from the chip board interior as easier to repair. If time allows I’d cut the access and leave for a day. Chainsaws and vibrations have a habit of driving bees off the comb and into extremes of the cavity. A skill saw would be better setting the depth of blade to a fraction deeper than the thickness of board. Guessing boards are nail gunned and not screwed?
I'd suggest a cordless angle grinder with a woodsaw blade. Cut down the centreline of the timber battens to the depth of the chipboard, which will enable you to replace the sheet cut out and use screws to retain it in place afterwards.
Aldi might still be clearing stocks of their cordless angle grinders, batteries, chargers and blade sets if you need to get hold of same. I bought this kit a few months ago and can honestly say it's been one of my best ever tools purchases.

A cordless angle grinder is interesting; handy for other jobs too. There is no reason to repair, apparently the stable is being converted to a playroom.

You will need buckets. some filled with water for washing. Some for old wax, some for good wax, some just to dump stuff in. You will get sticky and dirty. You then need to totally wash the gap after you have removed everything to get rid of the smell of honey. It is a big job however easy it looks before you start. It is easier to do with two people. You will probably never find the queen. Good luck. :banghead:
And don't forget to take and post loads of photos

Last edited:
I have used a circular saw to cut away the planking where it meets the upright studs then a pry bar to remove them to expose the nest. I also have a bee vac which is very useful. But you should be able to remove the comb and will probably get the queen on one In the case of the one in the pictures the width between the joists was the same as a bs brood frame so it was just a case of cutting it at the appropriate height and it fitted straight into a frame held in with elastic bands. Once you have the combs out the bees will either all go into your hive where you have put the comb or if left for a few hours will recluster in the now empty area where the nest was.where they can be easily removed . Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_110759211_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210228_110759211_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210228_111540997_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210228_111540997_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210228_122755801_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210228_122755801_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
A friend has asked me to remove a colony from between the wooden walls of their stable. The colony appears to be restricted between the studs in the wall, an area of about three feet square.
My initial plan is to cut away the chipboard indoors with a chainsaw (no electricity available) then put as much comb into frames in a brood box, giving time for spare bees to move towards the queen. I could do with some suggestions, though.
did you see my thread 'feb cut out' not sure if i can add the link but have a go

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/feb-cut-out.54456/
it worked a treat and the bees werent too bothered about the noise including using a multi tool which i thought they would react to

Thanks everyone, we did the job yesterday. We used our new shiny cordless angle grinder with the woodcutting blade, which filled my lungs with sawdust (didn't think that one through) but cut through the old chipboard like butter. Then we cleared the comb into a brood box, pre-screwed onto a hive floor, swept as many bees into the box as possible and screwed the lid down. Two hours later we came back, put the small cluster of returned foraging bees into the box and took the whole lot away to the apiary. Then we fed them (by this time they were pretty cross), put the roof on and ran away.

Today we go back and scoop up what's left and wash down.

Attachments

• IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    932.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 88b1c9df879237018e4b8eb4c3aabd8c.MP4
    10 MB
Thanks everyone, we did the job yesterday. We used our new shiny cordless angle grinder with the woodcutting blade, which filled my lungs with sawdust (didn't think that one through) but cut through the old chipboard like butter. Then we cleared the comb into a brood box, pre-screwed onto a hive floor, swept as many bees into the box as possible and screwed the lid down. Two hours later we came back, put the small cluster of returned foraging bees into the box and took the whole lot away to the apiary. Then we fed them (by this time they were pretty cross), put the roof on and ran away.

Today we go back and scoop up what's left and wash down.
excellent

what did you fill the void with to prevent it filling with another colony?

excellent

what did you fill the void with to prevent it filling with another colony?
The stable is going to be rebuilt into a play room so all I did was screw a patch over the entrance hole. I wasn't even required to replace the chipboard, it's all going to be ripped out in a couple of months.

The stable is going to be rebuilt into a play room so all I did was screw a patch over the entrance hole. I wasn't even required to replace the chipboard, it's all going to be ripped out in a couple of months.
So pleased for you that it went so well. I doff my cap to you😃

Latest posts

Back