Colonies seem a bit light on stores...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colintinto

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In at the bees today, and I'm a bit worried that they're running low on stores.

1 of the colonies especially had started to fill a new super but it seems very light now. Another colony is still on a brood and a half, but again I didn't see much evidence of stores.

The weather for the last 2-3 (4?) weeks has been pretty poor here, rarely above 13-14 degrees, windy (as in 100mph gusts earlier in the week) and wet.

I realise that feeding with the super on will mean that they end up storing the syrup in the super, so I could only use any honey from that myself. Didn't look like there was much in the super anyway on the worrying colony - should I just take it off and store it somewhere, and stick a feeder on?

The brood and a half, I think I'll just feed as is, as it's unlikely I'll take anything out of the super that's on it.

And is it 1:1 mix of water to sugar this time of year?

Here too, as noted in previous posts. Colonies are light but ok.

Yes, the recommended mix is 1:1. but I have used fondant in the past, taking out a frame in the super to make space. Less chance of robbing by this method.

Colonies at this time of the year are pretty adept and living form hand to mouth. The queen will reduce her laying if there is little income.

Very poor forage year for my bees too. Rape and bramble are over, with almost nothing brought in, and stores are so light that I have not been able to take any (over 50lbs this time last year). There are lots of bees, but they haven't filled the first super. The clover looks poor, and looking ahead things like rosebay willowherb are poor and stunted. There is not much lime nearby either. It's looking like I need to stock up with sugar, but I hope that the bees pull something out of the hat!

Last edited:
definitely dry weather is reducing amount of nectar for bees - season started early and well but with no rain to speak of for many weeks, they are using up their stores. Excess frames of ivy honey stored from last year may come in handy if this carries on...

I agree, rain helps so much with the nectar flow. if there is no moisture in the soil then the nectar dries up too!! However don't spoil them too much. Make them work for their honey or they'll get fat and lazy (lol) like me!
E

Latest posts

Back