Collecting a wild colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachelw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 colony from last year and 1 swarm I caught in May
Hello All

On Sunday I am going to have a look at a wild colony in a friend of a friends outhouse. They are wanting to use the building and need to remove a wild colony of honey bees. They have been there for at least a year. Apparently they have made a lot of comb and it is hanging from the ceiling.

I have only ever collected a very easy catch swarm that was hanging from a drain pipe on my next door neighbors house. How should I handle this? I do have a spare hive and frames.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thank you in advance

Rachel not worthy

Hello All

On Sunday I am going to have a look at a wild colony in a friend of a friends outhouse. They are wanting to use the building and need to remove a wild colony of honey bees. They have been there for at least a year. Apparently they have made a lot of comb and it is hanging from the ceiling.

I have only ever collected a very easy catch swarm that was hanging from a drain pipe on my next door neighbors house. How should I handle this? I do have a spare hive and frames.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thank you in advance

Rachel not worthy
Not really the right time of year but if it saves them being destroyed go for it, you will have to remove the comb and fix it to empty frames with elastic bands, place the frames in the hive, you will have to move swiftly not to chill the brood, leave the hive there until all the bees are in the hive, close it up and take it away. a good tip is to trap the queen and release her when the frames are in the hive

Good advice from Redwood.

Only other thoughts would be see if you can find someone to give you a hand its makes cutting the combs down and putting them into the frames a lot easier.

Its a messy job and not really the ideal time to be removing a colony so expect them to be a little defensive.

sounds more like a "snap off" rather than a "cut out":)

make sure you have everything to hand before you begin, two people a lot better than one
do you have a spare hive to put them in first??
a top bar hive nuc would be ideal for this, as the combs can be fixed directly to the top bars using cable ties and hair clips
did one with 6 combs around a month ago, they seem to be doing fine now

http://youtu.be/oymyPj1be14

If it could wait until March that would be perfect - are the bees that much of an issue until then?

Chris

Thank you for all the replies.

I have explained to the owner of the outhouse that it would be better to leave them until next year - but they are wanting to convert the building to living accommodation and are planning on starting the work next month so the only other option is to destroy them, so I may as well have a go and might be lucky.

I will let you know how it goes

Rachel
:cheers2:

Rachel, I am very local to you. When are you thinking about doing the collection? If I'm available, I am more than willing to come and lend a hand.

Thanks for the kind offer Sir Quej - but I'm staying at my daughters in Essex for the weekend and the bees are at her friends house. I'm still feel very much a beginner and may very well take you up on your offer if I need and help when I'm back home in Wakefield if that's OK?

Rachel

Ahh right, a bit far for me to go then...lol

I'm still pretty much a beginner myself as this is my first year but I do love the hobby and am always willing to lend a hand or pool our knowledge at any time....

Thanks for the kind offer Sir Quej - but I'm staying at my daughters in Essex for the weekend and the bees are at her friends house. ...

Are these feral bees in Essex (ratcatcher's territory), or "oop north"?

Thanks for the kind offer Sir Quej - but I'm staying at my daughters in Essex for the weekend and the bees are at her friends house. I'm still feel very much a beginner and may very well take you up on your offer if I need and help when I'm back home in Wakefield if that's OK?

Rachel

Are these feral bees in Essex (ratcatcher's territory), or "oop north"?

is your daughters anywhere near my neck of the woods, if so and you want a hand just gimme a shout

To avoid chilling brood etc what is the possibility of putting your spare hive in the building, attempting the transfer and then sealing up the hive prior to removal?

Where in Essex, Rachel?

Quick update - I visited today and persuaded them to leave them until spring next year when I will go and collect them. Was quite a big colony - they have been there for about 5 years so hopefully should survive another winter.

Thanks for offers of help.

Rachel:nature-smiley-013:

That's probably the best result. It was always going to be risky this late in the year with the weather getting cold.:)

Latest posts

Back