Cold way warm way and solid floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Does anybody run solid floors? This is my one and only this evening. UFE. There is a polycarbonate crownboard and no signs of condensation so they are managing but I wondered if frame orientation would make much difference?
Frames warm or cold?
View attachment trim.DDE7DCBE-8CF5-4428-8791-33B9EE571783.MOV

I have some solid floors with a UF central annular entrance so it doesn't mater which way I have my frames. 😂

There is a polycarbonate crownboard and no signs of condensation

Condensation happens on colder surfaces.
When insulation is better in crownboard than in walls, condensation happens in side walls.

Condensation will appear when weathers become cold. During summer you may use crownboards, even if insulation value is not so much.

Condensation happens on colder surfaces.
When insulation is better in crownboard than in walls, condensation happens in side walls.
Yes I know
I forgot to say they have a round rapid feeder in an otherwise empty super on top.

When I first started I had solid floors, made them at night school with other beginners and veteran beekeepers. Paid a small amount and made my first two out of cedar that was cut to the correct height, for the brood chambers and supers. I was taught the cold way, which I have used ever since.

Always run solid floors warm way.

I am running one warm way with an UFE this year just to see if it makes any difference, there isn't a noticeable difference, just a little slow to start on the frames in front of the entrance. I use a solid floor for a swarm until they have brood as some people reckon there is less risk of absconding, and while the number of swarms I've had is low, there haven't been any losses when solid floors are in the hive, but there were when I was using OMFs. But, as I said, small numbers could be a coincidence.

Got a mix, moving more across to solid floors over time... Generally cold way but not for any reason. My self built nucs do very well with solid floors.

Cold way or warm way? This issue has been handled every year couple of times in this Forum, but It does not become better.
Yes and it makes no difference with a mesh floor. My question was with a solid floor with an UFE

I run Langs : all cold way.
Solid floors/OMF? makes little difference to hives.
I find nucs respond better in hot weather with small OMFs vs solid floors but mine have UFEs so airflow is limited with solid floors.

Yes and it makes no difference with a mesh floor. My question was with a solid floor with an UFE
usually have a few overwintering on solid floor - always cold way

The most popular hive in the world is Langstroth, and It is always cold way.

And in practice It has no meaning, what way It is.

If I had my time over again, I would have gone straight to Langstroth but by the time the BBKA dinosaurs had had their way with me peddling nationals which, I couldn't get on with, I decided to save time and money, I changed over to commercial brood boxes and have faired rather better.

Solid floors, warm way.
Have been using this configuration for quite a few years, for no other reason than with four hives on a pallet I can stand in the middle to inspect them.
I also have permanent sites with six hives on a sleeper stand and found them a lot easier to inspect warm way.

Back