Cold way warm way and solid floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading this thread reminded me of something from a few years ago - hearing of a bee 'keeper' who (although OMF in this case) would diligently, each autumn go around switching his brood boxes from cold way to warm way, then, every spring, would go around and switch them all back to 'cold' :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

I went over to solid floors about 4 years ago, they definitely overwinter better, the floors have a winter side ( narrow entrance) that I flip in about August it helps with the wasp and mice problems we get being on a fruit farm. Turn it back over in the spring.

The real bonus is the lack of wax moth incubation areas established with between screened floors with correx sheets under.

I did core cut 50mm holes in one lot covered with mesh for ventilation, I don’t think it helped, the Langstroth’s don’t bother with ventilation like in the Nationals.

Utterly meaningless!
But is it?
Is airflow for ventilation better managed in a hive that has a solid floor and an UFE warm way or cold way. There must surely be a difference?
I have only one colony thus. Next year I will have two and have one warm one cold.

The only reason I would consider warm way or cold way, is not by the implication of the terminology, but the position of the beekeeper who is doing the manipulations. This way it is not meaningless because it has an ergonomic purpose (beekeeper comfort and less bending).

The only reason I would consider warm way or cold way, is not by the implication of the terminology, but the position of the beekeeper who is doing the manipulations. This way it is not meaningless because it has an ergonomic purpose (beekeeper comfort and less bending).
I arrange mine the so called cold way . With under floor entrance the entrance slot is by the third frame frame ( except mine of course are the cold way )
I have a flag stone at the rear of each hive and have a small table with a perforated top. This I place behind each hive I’m working on and can lift each super and lift it across onto the table rather than on the deck ! This saves a lot of bendind and lifting .
Yes I know I could sit the super crosswise to the brood box but there’s no valid reason to do this !

60 years ago we had in Finland most hives In warm way. Now we do not have any more those hives. Those hives had thick walls with saa dust insulation. One hive was " longhive.

Now almost all hives in the country are cold way.

Latest posts

Back