Clipping a Queen's wings with gloves on.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had that problem. If not happy with position, then loosen the 'grip' of cage to let her move for you. Or you can 'hook' the wing with scissor tip and lift clear of strings and then snip. It's down to control of scissors.

Precisely - as I always do if she ain't in a good position lift c of t and let her shift position. No difference basically between c of t or plunger. Please think beekeeperlike before posting.

Precisely - as I always do if she ain't in a good position lift c of t and let her shift position. No difference basically between c of t or plunger. Please think beekeeperlike before posting.

Lets simplify things for you.

Original post by Tomo

Hi, this is the end of my first year keeping bees. I successfully caught and marked my queens without any problem. Next year due to a slight change of circumstances and attitude towards losing a swarm and annoying the neighbours I have decided to clip my queen's wing. In the you tube videos we see experienced beekeepers catching, marking and clipping a queens wing without gloves! If I did this it's going to be painful.
Is there a way you would clip a queen's wing with confidence, wearing gloves? I have used a queen marking tube and plunger before, is this a good idea for clipping too? Thanks.

My reply
I vary, depending on conditions, but I tend to use a "Baldock" cage (crown of thorns to some).
Easily traps the Queen on the frame, so no need to try and remove her, then press gently to trap her against the comb when she is in the right position for you to mark her. Mark her and while the 'paint' is drying you can clip her to save time. When paint is dry just lift cage and let her go (after a quick use of smoker if workers look too interested). Easy and little chance of damaging her.

Mellifera Crofters response

You can't rotate the queen using a crown of thorns - so, yes, you can only cut her wings by cutting the strings! And you can't do that very delicately, I would have thought.

My reply to Madge

Never had that problem. If not happy with position, then loosen the 'grip' of cage to let her move for you. Or you can 'hook' the wing with scissor tip and lift clear of strings and then snip. It's down to control of scissors.

Now your interjection referring to my post

I made no reference to you at any point nor did I reply to your posts. So where is your problem and where do you come into this particular discussion between me and the posters quoted?
I'm not the one who had problems cutting 'strings', so gave my thoughts on how to avoid this by letting Queen move or 'hooking' wing. Did you not follow the thread? If you are going to make comments about me thinking before posting, then perhaps I should advise you to read the thread and understand what is actually being said and to whom before you act! Perhaps the thinking before posting applies to you more than me in this instance?
If I'm wrong or have misunderstood this thread then please bestow your wisdom on me, so I can progress to being closer to the inner sanctum of this forum!
PS Happy New Year :)

... I'm not the one who had problems cutting 'strings' ... If you are going to make comments about me thinking before posting ...
If I'm wrong or have misunderstood this thread ...

Don't worry, MS. I thought he meant me! But why either of us aren't 'beekeeperlike', I have no idea. I explained how to use a plunger to clip wings - particularly in reply to Tomo's question.

I don't clip my queens' wings anymore, but should I decide to do so again, I'll try to follow MP's example.
Kitta

Don't worry, MS. I thought he meant me! But why either of us aren't 'beekeeperlike', I have no idea. I explained how to use a plunger to clip wings - particularly in reply to Tomo's question.

I don't clip my queens' wings anymore, but should I decide to do so again, I'll try to follow MP's example.
Kitta

Hi Kitta
Thanks for the post. Not 'worried', I'm just someone who always defends my position if I think I'm being unfairly treated or attacked. Just in my nature I guess. (He did quote my reply). Looks like Alfermo has got hold of the wrong end of the stick. (not the first time).
I've tried Mikes method of catching and holding the Queen but with nitrile gloves on.It's bit of a devil to get the gloves off quickly and without gloves the propolis is a pain. By the time the gloves are off she's gone! lol This year I may try Mikes method again and get some practice in!
Perhaps then I'll be more "beekeeperlike"! lol
Regards Dave;):)

Yes, once you've trapped the queen between the sponge and the net, you gently rotate the plunger so that the queen rotates backwards until a wing pokes through the net,
Big T's now do a 'mark and turn' plunger - bars not mesh (more space to get at the wing. And instead of the lolipop stich plunger it's a gnurled base so plenty of space to grip

the one handed queen catcher also has bars.

anyone used one of these?

the one handed queen catcher also has bars.

anyone used one of these?

I have. Pretty good, but I still feel as though I need 3 hands for the process!( Probably just me though)
It's easy to use and control. Once the queen is in the 'cage' you can relax and put her down without worrying if she'll escape or come to harm. Easy to mark and clip her. Acts as 'Queen cage' while the paint dries. (No need to explain I know) I think there is a link on Th***es site to a video. (or google it) The video is an honest account of how easy it is to use.
Now your going to ask me why in a previous posting I said I used a 'Baldock' cage aren't you?
It's because the "one handed Queen catcher" is still in the box to protect it and when I actually need it, it's easier to grab the cage! Yep, bad planning!!!
:rolleyes:

You could use tight fitting nitrile gloves. Unlike using bare hands you don't leave your sweat/scent etc on the queen with nitrile gloves on. When I did the preliminary exam in 1959 (later renamed Basic) candidates were expected to pick up a worker off the comb by its wings without getting stung. You chose one with its head in the cell as it would have its wings sticking up so easier to grab hold off with your fingers of an ungloved hand.

Suggest you learn to pick up and handle queens safely as it will save you lots of time in the end doing marking, clipping etc compared with messing about with cages and the like. Also it is a skill required at General and advanced husbandry level.

i use thin nitrile long cuff gloves but change them for each queen marked but dont normally clip, however i will have a lot of one wing drones this year as i want to take the General Husbandry next year

Thanks for all of your answers, especially the you tube clip! Phew, I'm not that confident yet..... I will try it next spring ......... maybe.:ohthedrama:

Lets simplify things for you.
Original post by Tomo Hi, this is the end of my first year keeping bees. I successfully caught and marked my queens without any problem. Next year due to a slight change of circumstances and attitude towards losing a swarm and annoying the neighbours I have decided to clip my queen's wing. In the you tube videos we see experienced beekeepers catching, marking and clipping a queens wing without gloves! If I did this it's going to be painful.
Is there a way you would clip a queen's wing with confidence, wearing gloves? I have used a queen marking tube and plunger before, is this a good idea for clipping too? Thanks. My replyI vary, depending on conditions, but I tend to use a "Baldock" cage (crown of thorns to some).Easily traps the Queen on the frame, so no need to try and remove her, then press gently to trap her against the comb when she is in the right position for you to mark her. Mark her and while the 'paint' is drying you can clip her to save time. When paint is dry juslift cage and let her go (after a quick use of smoker if workers look too interested). Easy and little chance of damaging her.
Mellifera Crofters response

You can't rotate the queen using a crown of thorns - so, yes, you can only cut her wings by cutting the strings! And you can't do that very delicately, I would have thought.

My reply to Madge

Now your interjection referring to my post

I made no reference to you at any point nor did I reply to your posts. So where is your problem and where do you come into this particular discussion between me and the posters quoted?
I'm not the one who had problems cutting 'strings', so gave my thoughts on how to avoid this by letting Queen move or 'hooking' wing. Did you not follow the thread? If you are going to make comments about me thinking before posting, then perhaps I should advise you to read the thread and understand what is actually being said and to whom before you act! Perhaps the thinking before posting applies to you more than me in this instance?
If I'm wrong or have misunderstood this thread then please bestow your wisdom on me, so I can progress to being closer to the inner sanctum of this forum!
PS Happy New Year :)

Blimey, I was agreeing with you. Got a problem?

Blimey, I was agreeing with you. Got a problem?

Sorry, Alfermo, but if you look at your reply, you used my quote and then said

"Precisely - as I always do if she ain't in a good position lift c of t and let her shift position. No difference basically between c of t or plunger. Please think beekeeperlike before posting."

To me it appears as if you imply that I did not understand your reply and then had some problem as though I did not "think beekeeperlike".
It seemed as you were 'having a go at me" for no reason.
Still, sorted now, so no "problem". Sorry if I appeared a little 'brusk', but "it is January". Hope that clears the air.
Regards Dave
PS Imagine if you disagreed with me!:icon_204-2::sorry:

I find it too easy to pick up the queen and mark her. I don't clip queens, but it would be a similar process without using the various devices. I handle and mark thousands of queens each summer and couldn't imagine using a marking tube, etc. It must be clumsier and more dangerous for the queen. With gloves on, I think it would be next to impossible...at least for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2tSkW9YuHY

I love the way you mark with the grass stem. I am going to start doing that. Too many times I have had pens that are either too dry or project too much paint. Your way looks so neat and tidy.

Sorry, Alfermo, but if you look at your reply, you used my quote and then said

"Precisely - as I always do if she ain't in a good position lift c of t and let her shift position. No difference basically between c of t or plunger. Please think beekeeperlike before posting."
To me it appears as if you imply that I did not understand your reply and then had some problem as though I did not "think beekeeperlike".
It seemed as you were 'having a go at me" for no reason.
Still, sorted now, so no "problem". Sorry if I appeared a little 'brusk', but "it is January". Hope that clears the air.
Regards Dave
PS Imagine if you disagreed with me!:icon_204-2::sorry:

Thanks for that - all OK again. The "beekeeperlike" was meant for the poster you replied to ie use loaf before posting silly comments.

Duplicated posting

Last edited:
Thanks for that - all OK again. The "beekeeperlike" was meant for the poster you replied to ie use loaf before posting silly comments.

Phew - you are quite rude, Afermo. So your insults were directed at me. But quite right - I certainly don't use a loaf for thinking. As for 'silly comments' - what were they?

As far as I can see I accurately said that you can't rotate a queen using a crown of thorns, and MS explained a way round that. I don't know, and I'm not really interested to hear, what else you might have thought was 'silly'.

Kitta

Phew - you are quite rude, Afermo. So your insults were directed at me. But quite right - I certainly don't use a loaf for thinking. As for 'silly comments' - what were they?

As far as I can see I accurately said that you can't rotate a queen using a crown of thorns, and MS explained a way round that. I don't know, and I'm not really interested to hear, what else you might have thought was 'silly'.

Kitta

Looks like you're 'back on the hook' Alfermo'!
I'll leave you to sort that one out.:rofl::seeya:

Kitta

Fair comment Kitty! Should be interesting!;):)

As the season of goodwill is almost over ill stick my oar in, learn to pick the queen up or admit you're not very accomplished at beekeeping and stop pontificating, it's like watching cripples fight.

Last edited:
Back