Help - I’ve just messed up with my queen clipping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If both wings are equal it will just mean she will glide in a straight line a little further.

If both wings are equal it will just mean she will glide in a straight line a little further.
Oh I see; but still enough to stop her from flying with the rest of the swarm?

Oh I see; but still enough to stop her from flying with the rest of the swarm?

Yes, once clipped whether one or both she has lost the major ability of sustained flight via lift from the larger winger surface of the ends.

That’s exactly the explanation I’ve been trying to find online all this time but I don’t think I’m very good at Googling so many thanks!!!

I'm pretty sure that it was Meg who mentioned on here that she'd known a queen with both wings clipped to cover a mile with a swarm.

I'm pretty sure that it was Meg who mentioned on here that she'd known a queen with both wings clipped to cover a mile with a swarm.
Interesting. So ideally if one was going to clip then one side only would obviously better, although both could still be okay(ish) if that’s how the manipulation somehow went

Interesting. So ideally if one was going to clip then one side only would obviously better, although both could still be okay(ish) if that’s how the manipulation somehow went
When I used to clip I did both wings for years. Without problems. Although in the end I started clipping only one wing, I truthfully can't remember why I changed practice though.

One thing I do know is that it's easier to clip in the following spring than soon after mating. One of the big advantages with clipped queens is that they often seem to stay in the hive longer than if unclipped, as if aware of their impediment... No papers to refer you to on this, just an opinion based on personal observation, and by no means was it ever a certainty!

I think as others have said your queen will be ok. I am a really old fart beekeeper and do not clip or mark queens at this time of year: spring inspection when there are a few drones about is soon enough. Make a mistake at this time of year and your hive might be in turmoil.

Walking of course? I clip whenever I can see and am quick enough to catch her and I clip both wings, BUT ONLY WHEN I KNOW SHE IS LAYING and I don't care what time of year or how old she is.

Latest posts

Back