Where has the queen gone?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbohenn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I have 2 WBC hives. One has a colony that I bought last year and has brood, stores and 1 super that is slowly filling up. The other has a week old caught swarm but only has about a couple of hundred bees at most, but they are drawing the foundation out. I checked my main hive yesterday and couldn't find the queen. I did notice loads of drones, lots of drone cells I think (the ones that sit proud of the foundation) and at least 6 queen cells. I checked again today - without a smoker as they seemed quite calm yesterday- and still couldn't find the queen (she was marked). The bees themselves were very stroppy. Would this be because they weren't smoked or because there is no queen? Won't make that mistake again! I last saw her a fortnight ago. There are stores, brood and sealed cells present in the BB but I couldn't tell if there were any eggs. What would be my next move if the queen has gone?
Thanks for any advice.

I think you really need to do a bit of reading in the evenings. What you are seeing is a basic fact that you should already know about. I don't want to sound blunt but you really need help from a mentor or some good books!
Can someone please post the link to swarming. I can never find it!

I think they've swarmed
Choose one queen cell and destroy the others or buy a mated queen
I'd say it's almost CERTAIN they have swarmed ... and if they haven't by the time the OP reads this they probably will have ...

Six Queen cells and stroppy bees ... no sign of the queen ... not sure how many more indicators are needed.

couldn't find the queen
Next time you find a queen, mark her. Easiest in spring when the colony is small.

couldn't tell if there were any eggs
Basic beekeeping requirement, I'm afraid. Unless you train yourself to see eggs you will be unable to read the status of a colony. Use a torch, use reading glasses, use a magnifying glass, but enable yourself to see eggs.

use reading glasses

For those of us "of a certain age" who find that their eyesight is disappointingly not as sharp as it used to be, reading glasses are available from certain well-known online retailers for ridiculous cheapness. I last bought at least half a dozen pairs because it means I can leave them all over the house so they're never far from hand when I experience that sweary moment on realising I can't see stuff that I know I used to be able to.

James

Thanks for your comments and links. . When I noticed that their character had changed since last week and absence of the queen I thought that they might have swarmed, just wanted clarification as the first time for me.

Latest posts

Back