Clear Honey processing logistics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have around 45lbs at 17% moisture of spring honey that has a mixed origin - willow/other trees/dandelion/OSR that I harvested in mid-May.
When in the buckets, it set solid but not OSR impenetrable solid. I warmed, filtered and bottled in mid-June.
The intention was to sell it as clear honey and before sale for the initial jars I heated to 54 C for 45 mins (as Yates in BBKA notes) to both prolong shelf life and kill some of the yeast present. This worked well as the honey was already clear.
The problem I have at the moment is that the honey has now set solid in the jar with significant frosting but I would like to sell it as clear honey. At the end of 45 mins at 54 C, the honey is a long way from clear but I'm reluctant to heat for longer due to HMF.

In the future do I heat treat all jars post bottling and hope that I sell them all before it goes solid?
Or do I gently heat at a lower temp until it liquefies and then do 45 mins at 54 c as and when I need to supply the retailer?

Thanks

I have around 45lbs at 17% moisture of spring honey that has a mixed origin - willow/other trees/dandelion/OSR that I harvested in mid-May.
When in the buckets, it set solid but not OSR impenetrable solid. I warmed, filtered and bottled in mid-June.
The intention was to sell it as clear honey and before sale for the initial jars I heated to 54 C for 45 mins (as Yates in BBKA notes) to both prolong shelf life and kill some of the yeast present. This worked well as the honey was already clear.
The problem I have at the moment is that the honey has now set solid in the jar with significant frosting but I would like to sell it as clear honey. At the end of 45 mins at 54 C, the honey is a long way from clear but I'm reluctant to heat for longer due to HMF.

In the future do I heat treat all jars post bottling and hope that I sell them all before it goes solid?
Or do I gently heat at a lower temp until it liquefies and then do 45 mins at 54 c as and when I need to supply the retailer?

Thanks

Honey is what it is, I have honey that is pure creamy white and tastes delicous.Most people have different tastes and alot of people prefer this solid state honey to runny as it tastes better. If you want to decrystalise it you should place it back in a warming cabinet until it goes runny again. If you want runny honey the july crop should be runny and clear providing it has not been contaminated by the early OSR crop that will cause a chemicle reaction and set this cloudy and eventually solid.

Latest posts

Back