Improving my honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules59

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Im in my 4th year of beekeeping and have on average 3 hives.
I would like to have a more consistent honey product especially in terms of rate of crystallisation, as mine does seem to crystallise quite quickly . But I'm not sure if it possible as I think so much depends on what is being grown around me. (OSR has almost disappeared this year and linseed has taken its place).
However I'm open to suggestions.
For Info: I use a simple de-capping fork, a 4 frame tangential extractor, the common two metal sieves (approx 1800 and 600microns I believe). I store the honey in plastic buckets, measure the water %, and remove the top scum before jarring at 2-5 days. I don't usually heat the honey. (But I have used a warmer on occasions set to 40C).
Anybody got any suggestions to "improve" my honey ?
What do people think about cone filters?
I tried a 200micron one and it takes ages to filter even warmed honey and clogs up very quickly (after about 5kg of honey) and I'm not convinced it improved the honey in any way.

Keep it in buckets. Melt and bottle as required.
If you must jar it straight away make Soft Set
Here’s a short video from an old forum member

Keep it in buckets. Melt and bottle as required.
If you must jar it straight away make Soft Set
Here’s a short video from an old forum member

Hopefully not a controversial topic, but, do people really butter their toast if they are putting honey on?!!! :D

If you have OSR around take a spring crop and label it separately. Keep summer’s crop separate, and then you can offer runny and set. Once bottled store honey in a warm room particularly in winter and bottle as required to prolong shelf life.

Hopefully not a controversial topic, but, do people really butter their toast if they are putting honey on?!!! :D
If you don’t butter then toast goes solid and unpleasant instead of crunchy. If you do butter it remains both soft and toasty; an ideal carrier for honey

If you don’t butter then toast goes solid and unpleasant instead of crunchy. If you do butter it remains both soft and toasty; an ideal carrier for honey
Never had that problem, but then the toast isn't around long enough to become unpleasant! :unsure:
I don't like butter with jam either!
However, butter and marmite is lush. :D

Soft and toasty an oxymoron, like military intelligence

Soft and toasty an oxymoron, like military intelligence
Ordinary bread has pores in it which soak up your saliva and close when you chew which is why it goes soggy and gummy. When you toast it the pores stay open to fill with butter and honey while still retaining some crunch

I mix my honey and butter together and dip my toast in it. Big chunk of butter on the plate, cover it with honey, mash it with a fork, and stir until it is smooth but still a little chunky. You’re welcome. 😁

I mix my honey and butter together and dip my toast in it. Big chunk of butter on the plate, cover it with honey, mash it with a fork, and stir until it is smooth but still a little chunky. You’re welcome. 😁
Why not. It all ends up the same doesn’t it 😁

Plain ‘bees on toast’ here. I don’t do butter (or any other alternative) these days. About the only time I butter my bread these days is for smoked salmon-and-cucumber sarnies.

Latest posts

Back