Cleaning wax making equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre19

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi guys ..... just rendering down my wax for the first time. Used a Pyrex jug in a bain mare ..... worked well ... but, how do I clean up the pyrex jug ..... I don't want my wife to batter me ...... not worthy

Cheers
Pete

Hi guys ..... just rendering down my wax for the first time. Used a Pyrex jug in a bain mare ..... worked well ... but, how do I clean up the pyrex jug ..... I don't want my wife to batter me ...... not worthy

Cheers
Pete

Low oven (80 degrees) for five minutes take out and wipe with kitchen roll
Repeat once should do it
Then go out and buy dedicated kit. :D

I've got all dedicated kit, a steam melter etc. But when I make lip balms to clean the pyrex jugs I use I pop them in the microwave with kitchen roll underneath and put them on full power for a minute and check, then wipe them with kitchen roll, s simple was in soapy water finishes the job.

Dedicated wax kit is essential... for what little Pyrex jugs and microwaveable plastic bowls etc cost in the likes of Asda it's a no brainer ... I picked up a stainless set of nesting stock pans on amazon for £8 ... no grief from 'er indoors ... I even have an electric twin hot plate I got as a close out in Aldi so wax treatment always well away from anything that matters...

Dedicated wax kit is essential...

Absolutely
I give myself hassle if I used the kitchen stuff
As it is I have to go round on hands and knees scraping little drops of wax off the kitchen floor when I’m done.
Stan laid it himself and I’m not allowed to besmirch it with any beekeeping stuff......... it’s not even his kitchen!

Many thanks, guys .... for the replies .....

What sort of kit do you use ...... ????

Ta
Pete

Double boiler
Seive
Flannellette sheet discs to go in the seive
Old saucepan (for boilng up the seive discs to retrieve wax left in them after filtering)
Rainwater
Plastic boxes or moulds
Newspaper (lots of it !)
Scrapers, stirrers, ladles
Twin hotplate hob (I can do things well away from domestic situation).
Solar wax melter (Dual purpose - can also be used with steam)
J Cloths for iniitial filtering in wax melter
Wallpaper steamer for wax melter when no sun
Wax ... every last scrap I scrape out of the hives.

That's about it really ...

Back