cleaning supers + equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandini

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

Following advice, I returned a super to the colony after extracting for the bees to clean. That was Monday. Today I went to put the clear-board on to remove said super once more and I found it full of bees storing honey in it!

What now? I guess I leave it on?

The hive has a second super which is empty apart from the very beginnings of drawn comb. At the moment this is above the brood chamber with the extracted super on top.

...On the subject of cleaning; I thought about leaving my extractor and buckets out for the bees to clean but decided to air on the side of caution. I heard the bees get pretty excited and I have a young nuke on 5 frames which I didn't want getting robbed. Anyone had any experience of leaving equipment to be cleaned by the bees?(seems mighty convenient!)

Bandini, there have been a few previous threads on leaving equipment out for the bees to clean. Others may disagree but I think the majority of opinion was against it on the basis that it could potentially spread disease to yours and other people's bees and could encourage robbing / wasps etc.
Not to mention the possibility of contamination of your equipment - mice, birds etc.
There will, of course, be opinions to the contrary.

I'm still a newbee but last year after extracting i returned the wet supers to the hive but inserted an empty super between it and the brood box - seemed to work.

as for leaving the extracting equipment outside for the bees to clean, thats a big no-no, as it can encourage robbing, spread of disease etc etc....

Don't leave the extractor out, hose it clean. As for the returned super, it will be filled double quick if this weather continues. You may be removing it again in a short while.

I think the super should have gone above the clearer board with the holes open. The bees think that it is outside the hive and so will go up and clear them out. Below it becomes part of the hive and the fill it. Another option is you put it right at the bottom below the brood box and they clear it out and bring it upwards.

Leaving the items outside to clean does not sound good to me. Too many other interested parties and the biggest and strongest is likely to be wasps. You also may spread disease between colonies. It is best to clear it up yourself in the kitchen.

Would you draw out comb for storing the nectar brought in if there was plenty of space already available? Sounds as though the foundation super could be dispensed with for a while - depending on the flow, of course.

Never mind the robbing. Would you want potentially diseased bees feeding at the same trough as your bees? I think not.

RAB

Thanks so much. Common sense really! - weather is good isn't it!

(Sorry, i usually search previous posts for answers before posting a new topic but forgot on this occasion!- have reassured myself regarding some nasty sting reactions by reading archive posts, very helpful resource)

Helpful and informative as usual, thank you.

Brilliant idea to put super at the bottom, might try this next time as my clearer board design wont allow me to do as suggested. (i guess i could use crown board in the same way)

but yes, for now i leave it on and rub my hands together! - though i might leave it for the bees this winter!

The hive has a second super which is empty apart from the very beginnings of drawn comb. At the moment this is above the brood chamber with the extracted super on top.

The super of foundation is the one to remove. No clearer board needed.

And assuming you are using a National ... What food do you plan to leave for the bees if you have harvested a super of honey? Many National users will overwinter with a super of honey on a single brood chamber.

Lift the brood chamber and see how light it is.

Well I brought 30k of Protonectar Bee Syrup and some feeders. Both my colonies have good stores of honey and nectar in the brood chamber. Any more honey they store this year in supers ill leave for them ( lot of ivy in my garden) and then I'll top up with feed...

:iagree:
Bandini, there have been a few previous threads on leaving equipment out for the bees to clean. Others may disagree but I think the majority of opinion was against it on the basis that it could potentially spread disease to yours and other people's bees and could encourage robbing / wasps etc.
Not to mention the possibility of contamination of your equipment - mice, birds etc.
There will, of course, be opinions to the contrary.

Latest posts

Back