Cleaning/removing wax from stainless steel strainer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have a problem with their strainers during and after extraction? I find mime gets clogged up with wax bits and it's really difficult to remove. Does anyone know or have any tips on cleaning/removing the wax bits from the strainer?

Good grief no please no.

Soak in cold water then agitate.

PH

Yeah, dishwasher not a good idea as it solidifies in the filter/drain when it cools down. I use hot water (70° plus) in a bucket and then tip it outside. Not tried the cold/agitate method but may give that a go.

If you give it some thought, hot and wax = spreading...

Cold always. Works a treat.

PH

Both cold and boiling in that order :)
First swill filter in cold water ,this will readily shift loose particles of wax from the mesh . next boiling water will shift any smeared wax adhering to the surfaces .
I use this technique all the time , it works very well !
VM

Cold water reverse flush followed by a cold water and washing up liquid reverse flush, followed by a cold water reverse flush, all assisted by a nail brush (dedicated to cleaning honey processing bits) No hot water until ALL the wax is removed.

But the real trick is not having to filter too many cappings in the first place.

To make diffucult: hand warm water. If not nearby, then cold

Yes, with hot water or 70C wax melts on surface and so do propolis.

Let the exractor and other materials be in water moist conditions. Honey soaks water and does not glue any more.

.PURE WATER AND NO CHEMICALS OR SOAP!

Latest posts

Back