How to clean wax from polycarbonate crown board?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The vision through most of my polycarbonate CBs is obscured by brace comb. The clarity remains poor because of residual wax, even after scraping it off and soaking in washing soda, . Grateful for advice. I have pinched a pic from another thread (Thanks and apols @Do224)
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/brood-boxes-filling-up.55946/#post-882404
This never happens to mine because I have top bee space. They are crystal clear after years of use except round the edge where I have scraped off propolis

This never happens to mine because I have top bee space. They are crystal clear after years of use except round the edge where I have scraped off propolis
Isn’t top bee space when the bees can move between the top bars and the crown board?

never get the problem with plywood or OSB crown boards,
And never found the need to stare at them in the winter
Clear crown boards are fantastic if you’ve just got a handful of hives…I’m forever having a peek at what mine are up to. Probably not practical if you’ve loads of hive though

Isn’t top bee space when the bees can move between the top bars and the crown board?
Yes and the space between boxes is created by a space over the top bars
It’s the standard in Langstroth and mist suppliers now stock National wood boxes as top space.
The new Abelo 12 frame boxes are top space.
I have the old style and have customised the broods.

It’s only bee space. You could ask why bees don’t brace any bee space in the hive. They just don’t unless they are running out of space
Interestingly I have 5cm vaping ekes on my boxes for 16 days while I do 4 vapes and there’s never any comb there

It’s only bee space. You could ask why bees don’t brace any bee space in the hive. They just don’t unless they are running out of space
Interestingly I have 5cm vaping ekes on my boxes for 16 days while I do 4 vapes and there’s never any comb there
My clear crown boards just have bee space above top bars too. Normally they remain clear but the flow last week caused this hive to make brace comb…

DE8414A0-6F93-48F6-B542-DC6ECEBEF8F2.jpeg

never get the problem with plywood or OSB crown boards,
And never found the need to stare at them in the winter
You don't know what you are missing - it's better than TV on boxing day and a great excuse to get out of the washing up ! " "I must go and look at the bees "

Latest posts

Back