Wax moth help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigsy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Me again. I have bought some second hand equipment from a retiring beekeeper. The colonies that were contained have died/swarmed/starved to extinction.

I have ditched all the frames and have just kept the brood box/super/roofs etc

There was a major greater wax moth infestation with many scallops where pupae were.

I have scraped all clean, soda washed, soaked in bleach and torched.

Anything else I should do? Sulphur?

(Apart from bin lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Brigsy,
You are done. Acetic acid is to disinfect combs for light Nosema, Chalkbrood and Wax Moth, but you are using new foundation.

Once you have got rid of them, as long as you don't store used brood comb, the rest will be fine, new foundation won't be affected. Freeze and seal any used brood comb in box's
E

Hi Brigsy,
You are done. Acetic acid is to disinfect combs for light Nosema, Chalkbrood and Wax Moth, but you are using new foundation.

Ah, thanks Beeno, as they can burrow into it I thought that the wood had to be treated also.

I've have certainly found caterpillars deep in holes in the brood box. I scorched those so and so's.

Anything else I should do? Sulphur?

If you want to use all available treatments then you could use a sulphur candle, you have to work out the volume of the stack of supers before using it and then air it very well before letting bees anywhere near it.

You could also use Certan (B401 ; Bacillus thuringiensis ). You can get it from some agricultural suppliers.

Realistically though, the scorching should have been enough.

You could also use Certan (B401 ; Bacillus thuringiensis ). You can get it from some agricultural suppliers.

Brigsy, you can buy it at your local garden centre. I do. its the same stuff. pure Bacillus thurgiensis, in a dry powder form. This is the one we have here in France. just browse caterpillar control. I use it on stored frames and basically i dont have a problem. I spray my swarm traps with it and they stay pretty clear all season. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12895&stc=1&d=1460924814

Attachments

• IMG_8527.JPG
    IMG_8527.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 17
Thanks. Will have a look out for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacillus thuringiensis exists in many different strains and the one used to make B401 (Certan) is subspecies aizawai serotype 7. Other strains may not be effective against the greater wax moth as they have been specially selected to produce toxins that target specific insect pests eg subspecies israelensis’ targets immature flies and mosquitoes, subspecies kurtstaki targets gypsy moth and looper caterpillars and subspecies san diego targets boll weevils and some other beetles

I'm going to have to screenshot that as I'm never going to remember it! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back