Cleaning poly hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have been asked to look after 3 swienty poly hives for a fellow beek who is unwell.
Two hives are occupied but one lost its colony after swarming and the frames are full of Greater Wax Moth cocoons.
I have removed the frames to clean or burn but the hive is heavily propolised and I want to sterilise it and clean it up. I usually wash my poly NUCs in hot water with washing soda and bleach. The swienty hives do not seem to be a dense polystyrene as the Paynes NUCs and obviously are more difficult to wash as I cannot immerse them.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

I use washing soda and bleach as per bee base leaflet, but also add a good dose of washing powder, cold water. I immerse each side for a couple of hours, give it a scrub, and then turn to next side, as I do not have a tank big enough to immerse the whole thing. Works a treat but is tedious

Find a plastic storage box big enough without holes in the bottom. Lots in the big supermarkets for under £10.

I use washing soda and bleach as per bee base leaflet, but also add a good dose of washing powder, cold water. I immerse each side for a couple of hours, give it a scrub, and then turn to next side, as I do not have a tank big enough to immerse the whole thing. Works a treat but is tedious

You may immerse side after side. Make a shallow pool from plastic sheet. Then brush with car brush. Hot water, 60C.

Old thread I appreciate, but is sugar soap okay to use on poly? I've a load of nucs that got pressed into service before I could paint them and now before I do, thought I should get rid of the algae on the outside before sloshing the masonry paint on. Sugar soap has worked brilliantly on caravan etc for same purpose, cheers.

I have wondered if you could use an old dish washer for cleaning well scraped but not spotless frames. Let the emptying pre wash cycle go ahead and then open the door and put in a cup of washing soda. Close up and continue on a hot cycle and run it to the end. Collect the waste in a bucket for disposal.

Old thread I appreciate, but is sugar soap okay to use on poly? I've a load of nucs that got pressed into service before I could paint them and now before I do, thought I should get rid of the algae on the outside before sloshing the masonry paint on. Sugar soap has worked brilliantly on caravan etc for same purpose, cheers.
i use a thin bleach on mine .then wash it of with wallpaper steamer .stripper.i give the inside a quick steam aswell..light sanding if needed..i would use pressure washer if i had one..forgot no bees in mine ..

Last edited:
I have wondered if you could use an old dish washer for cleaning well scraped but not spotless frames. Let the emptying pre wash cycle go ahead and then open the door and put in a cup of washing soda. Close up and continue on a hot cycle and run it to the end. Collect the waste in a bucket for disposal.
You can, I was v pleased with the results. I got banned from the kitchen though, quite unreasonably I think.

I would think there is a good chance of blocking up some of the internal plumbing with wax.

One would think a pressure washer will blast holes in poly .
If you adjust the spray so it is not concentrated then you can use a pressure washer on polyhives - gets rid of any black mould on the outside - if they are painted you need to be careful because it will take any off that is not firmly attached.

An old secondhand D/W outside may be a good option then it won't matter what goes in it or comes out.

Latest posts

Back