Cleaning Poly Boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaxy55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Interested to what method others use for cleaning there poly boxes? Tried different things but not really found one that makes the job very easy.

I soak mine over night in a soda solution, hose off and leave a couple of days to dry.

If you have couple of boxes, spray Cillit Bang fat remover onto inner surface. Let it affect perhaps a hour and brush the surface. Use rubber gloves.

I have noted that old poly box has a dirt layer, which can be cleaned only with brushing.

2 concrete blocks
After a good soak in the washing soda solution and a scrub to remove propolis and wax.. soak in a 5%solution of bleach... wash and allow to dry.

:winner1st:

I think bee base suggests 0 5% bleach. I am with Finnie, Cillit bang, leave to soak in, then a scrub. Rarely do I bother sterilising with bleach, or use a blow torch, propolis is there for a reason.

I think bee base suggests 0 5% bleach. I am with Finnie, Cillit bang, leave to soak in, then a scrub. Rarely do I bother sterilising with bleach, or use a blow torch, propolis is there for a reason.

I went to the hassle of doing this last year .. but was reading here that unless you have had wax moth or disease ... there is little point in doing the cleaning ...so havent bothered this winter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice not tried Cillit Bang before so will give that a try. Will have to invest in a large container and try soaking in soda crystals.

Thanks for the advice not tried Cillit Bang before so will give that a try. Will have to invest in a large container and try soaking in soda crystals.

Buy a kiddies paddling pool..cheap as chips.. the only problem you need a good set of lungs to blow them up..:spy:

Latest posts

Back