Cleaning open mesh floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have an open mesh floor which the bees have pretty much sealed half of it. I want to clean it, but a soak in soda crystals didn't much. Any suggestions please?

Plastic gravel tray
Boiling water and soda.
Wire brush it clean
Or you can take the mesh out and replace it with a new one.
Put the tray in if they are feeling a draught
At least you have retained your options.

I have an open mesh floor which the bees have pretty much sealed half of it. I want to clean it, but a soak in soda crystals didn't much. Any suggestions please?
I suggest you leave it up to the bees. They obviously do not like the open mesh floor so try to seal it up. It's us beekeepers who thing we know best. They don't have OMF's in trees.

Any suggestions please?
Leave it and use as is.

As Dani & Karsal said, bees are telling you they don't want a complete OMF.

The OMF principle has been around for nearly a century without much use, but was revived and promoted in the 1990s by suppliers when it was found that a small % of varroa fell out through a mesh floor.

I've not come across this research, but either way, an OMF is not essential and thousands of colonies still do well on solid floors.

I have mesh floors in a similar state, which is why I am in the process of moving some colonies back to solid floors.

James

Yes.4"Kingspan
Timber hive metal roof

Perhaps it was a freak , once in a lifetime event but I'm certainly making damn sure it was exactly that.
My usual setup gives them the option of ventilation -but only if they want it.

No research... Mobus in ABJ. He trialled the OMF for improved WIntering pre Varroa, and nothing to do with it either, that was a jump by the makers of gadgets aak as the suppliers.

PH

Latest posts

Back