Cleaning rhomboid escaped

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
Decided to try and unblock the mesh holes on my rhomboids. First question is are these holes necessary for them to work? I ask the question because every hole has been sealed up by the bees & I’ve been using them like that for several years. Giving them a soak in washing soda/fairy to remove most of the wax/propolis but mesh holes still blocked .

I've always thought that the holes are what stops the bees finding their way back into the supers -- that is, they can "smell"[1] the honey most strongly through the mesh near the hole in the board and won't want to move away from it to where the "exit" from the rhombus is (and where the smell is weaker). If the mesh is closed up then the smell will be strongest near the exits and they'll follow it back up into the supers.

I made this explanation up all by myself though. I have no idea if it's true.

James

[1] "I say, I say, I say... My bee has no nose." "How does she smell?" "I'm not getting close enough to find out".

I usually put them in the freezer with our Queen excluders, what doesn't then break off gets left.
As Jenkins says, it doesn't make much difference if the holes are gummed closed, and to be honest there are only a few factory sites we now use boards, most supers are cleared with the blower because of time constraints.

Washing soda solution in warm - not boiling wter. Leave to soak with occasional scrubbing with a nail brush and pop back in the solution. That shifts it no problem without warping the escape. Not too hot is the key!

I clean my queen excluders by soaking overnight in a strong soda solution and then power washing. That should work a treat with rhombus clearers.

Mine are only left on for 24 hours max, they manage to clog up a hole or two. After a few years there are quite a few clogged up holes, at this point I might poke them with the bamboo skewer.

Latest posts

Back