Cleaning frames and reusing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie14

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Very new beekeeper here, lost one hive this winter which was a brood and a half hive. Can I reuse the frames from the half as super frames for my remaing hive on a single brood box and if so how do I clean them?

Very new beekeeper here, lost one hive this winter which was a brood and a half hive. Can I reuse the frames from the half as super frames for my remaing hive on a single brood box and if so how do I clean them?

You can reuse them for brood but not for honey supers.

I gather it is poor practice to use any frames that have had brood in for honey that is then sold.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will keep them for brood

Hi Bernie

I should have checked first will you be keeping the drawn wax in them? if not then the frames that are cleaned up with new foundation is ok to use for honey supers. its only if your keeping the drawn comb in that its not good practice.

sorry should have checked first.

Hi Bernie

I should have checked first will you be keeping the drawn wax in them? if not then the frames that are cleaned up with new foundation is ok to use for honey supers. its only if your keeping the drawn comb in that its not good practice.

sorry should have checked first.

It was the drawn comb that I was hoping could be used but no problem just need to get more super frames made up :)

You can reuse them for brood but not for honey supers.

? if there was no disease in the original hive, there's nothing wrong in using them as super frames for extraction - the bees will clean them out for you

environmental health say no to using frames that have had brood in for honey for sale.

This early, I'd suggest not going with brood and a half.

I think its a waste of time and makes manipulations tedious.

Single or double brood is better, imo.

This early, I'd suggest not going with brood and a half.

I think its a waste of time and makes manipulations tedious.

Single or double brood is better, imo.

I had one colony on double brood last year, and I agree with SB, it's a real faff

Yep.

I have one on 14 x 12 and one on brood-and-a-half.

Just bought an eke to convert the latter.
And my new hives are also 14 x 12.

Too much faffing around. More chances of something untoward happening to the queen.

KISS applies, for me.

Dusty.

P.s. But what do I know? Not quite into my second year.....

The dead beehive died due to lack of food, I am almost certain of that (well from what I have read anyway)

The hive has been cleaned out but 6 of the brood frames (in the main brood box) are a bit mouldy. Anyone give me any help as to what I should do with it, do I replace foundation or can that be re-used in any way?

The dead beehive died due to lack of food, I am almost certain of that (well from what I have read anyway)

The hive has been cleaned out but 6 of the brood frames (in the main brood box) are a bit mouldy. Anyone give me any help as to what I should do with it, do I replace foundation or can that be re-used in any way?

It is a personal choice. If they are just a bit moldy and there is nothing else wrong with them such as wax moth etc. then personally I would use them again. A strong healthy colony will clean them up in no time at all.

This is just my opinion of course...

environmental health say no to using frames that have had brood in for honey for sale.

but that is understood wrong.
EU honey directive says that you are not allowed extract frames which have living brood like larvae.

If it has floating larvae in extracting, it should be marked "household honey".

If you look extracting honey videos, most of frames have brown color = used as brood frame.

.and that has nothing to do with health or envinmental healt.

Latest posts

Back