Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ever, but if I find a hive, which has those chivering bees, I change the queen, does it then help or not. ... What else it can be done?

30 years ago I had those quite much. I think, that the queen breeders have selected the virus away, because I do not have met it long time.

Which book did you read that in..... the cut and paste tome on early beekeepering myths?

The pure Buckfasts all died out at much the same time I suppose.

Err Brother Adams books and from the mouth oi the great man himself in his film "The monk and the Honey Bee".
That was the starting point of the Buckfast lineage.
You really need to drink less mead and sit soberly down and read a few of his books to help you get your facts correct. I'm embarrassed for you at this latest lot of propaganda you are spouting

I've seen it once in over 30 years of beekeeping. That was at a bee disease inspectors course at Sand Hutton, York (APHA). From memory, the colony was nothing special. They had brought it to the site so they had a real-live case to illustrate the symptoms, so we could recognise it if/when we saw it. I've not seen it since.
I say this because it is easy to get the impression that bee diseases are common. They're not. Perhaps some areas encounter problems more than others but, around here, there seems to be very little.

I have some here. The celle line have a bit but no massive die off. Quite a few of my slovenian carnica got hit very hard and lost a few overwinter. Buckfasts seemed to be able to tolerate it over winter due to bigger population and didn't get the mass die offs.
The handful of blacks are in the clear so far but that might be just pure luck

Our Association bees have it.. (were Irish AMMs 20 years ago , now mongrel)

My personal bees (Buckfast/carnie/mongrel) crosses don't..

I'm embarrassed for you at this latest lot of propaganda you are spouting

Usual pot and kettle reply from the forums know it all....... who for some inexplicable reason thinks we all should be compelled import ( so called) Buckfast bees.,,, who changes his forum name when it all gets too hot to handle!!!

Yeghes da

Usual pot and kettle reply from the forums know it all....... who for some inexplicable reason thinks we all should be compelled import ( so called) Buckfast bees.,,, who changes his forum name when it all gets too hot to handle!!!

Says he who has also changed his name (Icanhopit) :icon_204-2:

The truth is that bees that have not been tested/selected for generations do seem to suffer from more ailments than those that have don't. It's common sense. It's like anything else....Know your source!

Last edited:
The past few years have seen a dramatic
increase in the incidence of chronic bee
paralysis, especially for professional
beekeepers. In 2016, a Bee Farmers’
Association (BFA) survey reported 46
per cent of professional UK beekeepers
had experienced problems with chronic
bee paralysis in the past two years. ).

Does the fact that 46% of beefarmers have had a case within 2years really mean it's especially prevalent for them? when they are the ones running hundreds or thousands of colonies and will be correctly identifying the disease and not blaming it on pesticides or some such(As I often see on Facebook groups)
The question came up at a recent association meeting asking who had seen CBPV. I have nearly the same amount of hives as the rest of the room combined but have seen 1 case 3yrs ago. Of the 50 odd beekeepers in the room between 15 and 20 of them had seen the disease.

Says he who has also changed his name (Icanhopit) :icon_204-2:

The truth is that bees that have not been tested/selected for generations do seem to suffer from more ailments than those that have don't. It's common sense. It's like anything else....Know your source!

Yes
Due to a catastrophic hard drive crash.... no problem there.. I had to change my name from ICANHOPIT to Cheers ( Cornish - Yeghes da) I even retained my avatar...

This forum is all a bit school playground with the usually low intellect bullies spoiling for a fight!!!

However, for the mere sake of clarity... after a BAN THYMALLUS and TRUBLE changed his/her name to BEEFRIENDLY.. and has been trolling me for some unknown reason ever since... perhaps I should wind my neck in... however.... I do not suffer FOOLS gladly.

I should add that I am a great admirer of the way of Brother Adam in producing quality bees..... IN THE UK !!!

:calmdown:

Yeghes da

. I do not suffer FOOLS gladly.

The problem with fools is when they get their facts wrong about the origin of Buckfast bees and that error is pointed out to them. Or when they get their facts wrong about their being no Buckfast bees bred in England (another thread I know)...rather then man up and apologise for making all these stupid schoolboy howlers they go on the offensive and go all ad hominen on you.
You are rapidly becoming the buffoon of this forum...a place you richly deserve.

Last edited:
Y
I should add that I am a great admirer of the way of Brother Adam in producing quality bees..... IN THE UK !!!

:calmdown:

Yeghes da[/QUOTE

Racism rears its ugly head.

The problem with fools is when they get their facts wrong about the origin of Buckfast bees and that error is pointed out to them. Or when they get their facts wrong about their being no Buckfast bees bred in England (another thread I know)...rather then man up and apologise for making all these stupid schoolboy howlers they go on the offensive and go all ad hominen on you.
You are rapidly becoming the buffoon of this forum...a place you richly deserve.

Nigel P... you are the forum buffoon.... and I would be pleased if you would shut up and shove off!

I am not the only poster to be fed up with your constant trolling and found-less pedantic jibes against members.

The ORIGINAL Buckfast hybrid was a selected native Amm that was immune to the virus

Well are you prepared to "man up" and admit you where mistaken or not?
Me thinks it's "squeak squeak" from Cornwall.:winner1st::winner1st:

You are becoming very tiresome and abusive David. A level I refuse to sink to.
I try to treat fellow forum members as they treat me.
Perhaps food for thought for you?

Last edited:
Nigel P... you are the forum buffoon.... and I would be pleased if you would shut up and shove off!

I am not the only poster to be fed up with your constant trolling and found-less pedantic jibes against members.

Well are you prepared to "man up" and admit you where mistaken or not?
Me thinks it's "squeak squeak" from Cornwall.:winner1st::winner1st:

You are becoming very tiresome and abusive David. A level I refuse to sink to.
I try to treat fellow forum members as they treat me.
Perhaps food for thought for you?

I think it's time you two got a thread of your own where you could exchange insults and irrelevance, ad infinitum, on your own, without polluting other people's threads and we, the majority, could enjoy the forum without your persistent slanging matches ... there's a couple of others you could take with you as well...

CBPV continues

Do many others have hives suffering from CBPV?
I have one hive and every day I have hundreds of dead bees all having shown the typical signs of CBPV. Yet the hive is strong with loads of brood frames on double brood. The dead bees being replaced by new ones.
I'm just waiting (now several weeks) for the hive to recover, if it ever does at all.

CBPV continues unabated.
Pictures from this morning and this evening.

Attachments

• CBPV.JPG
    CBPV.JPG
    657.1 KB · Views: 46
  • CBPV2.JPG
    CBPV2.JPG
    909.5 KB · Views: 43
That is bad. And you are going forward in the hope that it vanishes by itself.

If you buy a new queen, after two months you can see that they are vanishing. Another choice is that you have those bees in the winter cluster.

Last edited:
Following the incident a while ago now which occurred at a Barkston Ash members hive and which was initially thought to be spray poisoning. Dhon the local bee inspector looked at the hive involved and advised the shaking out treatment which I had found via a suspected spray poisoning thread in here.
At the time I wondered if many alleged cases of poisoning were misdiagnosed cbpv. However the reverse is also possible.

That is bad. And you are going forward in the hope that it vanishes by itself.

If you buy a new queen, after two months you can see that they are vanishing. Another choice is that you have those bees in the winter cluster.

Have 10 different queen lunes here and they all either have had it or currently have it. Always the risk with changing the queen that the new queen is more susceptible

Back