Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at a hive yesterday at a friends who is a begginner, no piles of dead bees or anything but about 7-8 bees seen within the hive showing that small black polished look with k wing. Will have to keep an eye on that 1, anyone tried a tray of thymol or thymol syrup?

Yep, sadly I’m now thinking the same ☹️

Why? Your bees haven't collapsed and are only losing a small amount of bees per day. It's when the floor is clogged up with an inch or two of bees and numbers really collapse that you have a problem

, anyone tried a tray of thymol or thymol syrup?

It is better to read first what university level reports say about the disease cure.
To put thymol, carlic and what ever into the hive does not make sense.

The virus is so old that it must be some real knowledge in the world.

More over, you spoil the honey in the hive.

Last edited:
What would that achieve?

Not sure thats why i asked the question. Thymol appears to have a few benifits for a colony and does encourage some hygenic behaviour, to be honest was rather hoping HM would comment as i would guess he chucked a few ideas/treatments about. But with a lack of anything diffinitive in the way of treatments was wondering what had been tried. I will ask next time he calls. Finsky not worried about any honey in the hive ITS NOT MINE...Only kidding they are only just into a double brood atm so its not an issue.

Last edited:
Not sure thats why i asked the question. Thymol appears to have a few benifits for a colony and does encourage some hygenic behaviour, to be honest was rather hoping HM would comment as i would guess he chucked a few ideas/treatments about. But with a lack of anything diffinitive in the way of treatments was wondering what had been tried. I will ask next time he calls. Finsky not worried about any honey in the hive ITS NOT MINE...Only kidding they are only just into a double brood atm so its not an issue.

Ian, you have forgotten Indian holy cow's urine.

Last edited:
No in fairness I drank some of that the other night I am sure and at London prices

Thanks for the update, HM.

A recent promising management
method appears to be a modification
of the shook swarm, described by Chris
Neel in a previous issue of Bee Farmer(6)

I don't have Bee Farmer No 6 but have found that shaking out the colony works.

Cage the queen.
Move the whole lot a way away and set up a clean box on the old site.
Shake out all bees.
Return the brood frames to the new box.
Return the queen.
Healthy bees return, viral bees die.

Didn't work for me. A week later there was an inch of dead bees on the floor, tried a 2nd time with same result so culled them. There was a fair amount of defication on the frames in mine as a consequence of not flying which may well have affected the success. Now, If theyre dying in numbers I'd rather stop it dead and go straight for the petrol soaked rag option.

And what is wrong with changing the queen.

The shaking method.... You cannot shake viruses off from the hive and from combs and the queen's genome is still sensitive to virus.

Important is to kick off virus sensitive genes from apiary.

Guys are esger to speak about hygienic bees, but they do not want to change even ordinary queen.
Situation is the same as violated queen, angry queen or what ever "malfunction".

Last edited:
Didn't work for me. A week later there was an inch of dead bees on the floor, tried a 2nd time with same result so culled them. There was a fair amount of defication on the frames in mine as a consequence of not flying which may well have affected the success. Now, If theyre dying in numbers I'd rather stop it dead and go straight for the petrol soaked rag option.
Yes, I've killed in the past as well, and that also was when the chronic returned; difficulty is that outbreaks are variable and unpredictable.

I have a suspect which so far has chucked out a sprinkling for the last few weeks, but inside all I had to remove were three shiny bees. Two broods and third super on, so they're not holding back; concluded that the housekeeping is keeping it under control.

I agree, the shake-out is best done on a good flying day.

And what is wrong with changing the queen.

The shaking method.... You cannot shake viruses off from the hive and from combs and the queen's genome is still sensitive to virus.

Important is to kick off virus sensitive genes from apiary.

Guys are esger to speak about hygienic bees, but they do not want to change even ordinary queen.
Situation is the same as violated queen, angry queen or what ever "malfunction".
The majority of queens are not immune to it so it's not going to do much

The majority of queens are not immune

That cannot be true. Do your most hives have that virus? It has not been in my apiary last 20 years. And I change my queens so that I buy every year couple of mother queens from different queen breeders.

I would say that in Finland virus is very rare.

How do you know that majority is not immune, and virus is only in one hive? Who has calculated that "majority"?

So, in England it is time to start to breed bees. According your healing cure that virus is as bad as AFB.

Last edited:
That cannot be true. Do your most hives have that virus? It has not been in my apiary last 20 years. And I change my queens so that I buy every year couple of mother queens from different queen breeders.

I would say that in Finland virus is very rare.

How do you know that majority is not immune, and virus is only in one hive? Who has calculated that "majority"?

So, in England it is time to start to breed bees. According your healing cure that virus is as bad as AFB.
I have a fairly diverse lot of queens here and they're all susceptible to some degree.
Have also taken the queen out of a few hives that hand collapsed to a handful of bees and set them going again with 6-8 frames of bees+brood from other hives, paralysis hasn't reoccur red in these despite it being 8 weeks ago since they started laying in new hives. While in apiaries with ongoing paralysis

First it was majoroty and now they are all. You do not take seriously what you write.

I read one research and it told that the queen may get disease as well as the workers.

All of my bees, 3 carni lines, 6 buckfast lines and a bunch of amm. Across over 100 hives.

Latest posts

Back