Choice of Bee Suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google gave me nothing for ab3lo.

I like the sheriff ones best. They have lasted more than twice as long as the others. I like the astronaut style veil rather than round veil best too. I am on the look out for new suit. Hopefully a bargain.

Now I don't mind a half suit, but for beginners getting stung on the belly, bottom or crown jewels, all of which have happened with short suits, might put them off.

A full suit will take a few minutes more to put on than a smock but having to tuck your smock into your trousers etc will cancel that out.

Your association will most likely have BB or Sheriff suits, which can be bought well under the stated price through a "group buy" via the association.

The problems I find with all suits are veils, cheap or not so cheep, and the point where the zips meet.
Sh@riff medium thickness body, veils split with age, no cover at the zip over points.
Beeh@use heavy duty canvas body, veil split within 12 mths, no cover over ZOP.
Th@rns medium thickness body, Veil intact ( 2nd yr), material fraying at one of the hat hoops ( access for bees), covered ZOP's.
Wife's 1piece, over the head ebay cheapo tissue thin smock for mowing;strimmin around hives in it's 3rd yr and still no failure, go figure.

BB, S & some of the ebay sellers offer a repair service so all's not lost but there's a price to pay. Price is not a guarantee of good or bad quality but would suggest you go for a full suit and one least one size larger than you need.

Russ

Not often I can add things to posts, normally asking questions, but... having entered my second year, just about my worst purchase was a half suit with veil.

I have to date had about 6 or so stings. 4 of these have been a stray bee who gets up the back of the suit where I have bent down during inspection exposing flesh. They normally sit there until you take the suit off, then you feel the itch and no matter how calmly and gently you try to lift the back of your t-shirt... :eek: !

Feeling brave 10 days ago went out late afternoon with a waist up only top and veil on to clip a strip of grass 4+metres away from hive with a pair of hand shears and got stung twice on my leg and once in the gap between my trousers and top created unawares to me as I leant forward with the shears...
They went for you when you used hand shears at 4 metres? Just not acceptable, either they are far too aggressive or you need to check what scents/deoderants/cleaning materials are causing that.

Google gave me nothing for ab3lo.

Try abelo :)

Veil is soft material (similar to fishing net material) rather than plastic mesh which has split on my M'mores suit and an ebay smock. Visibility through veil is excellent and can easily see eggs, zips are fine rather than chunky toothed, zipped chest pockets useful for phone/car keys, hood zip is covered by a velcro patch.

Polyhive (formerly of this parish) spoke highly of them IIRC.

They went for you when you used hand shears at 4 metres? Just not acceptable, either they are far too aggressive or you need to check what scents/deoderants/cleaning materials are causing that.

A bit harsh I feel. Bees do not like the smell of cut vegetation, if you are in their flight path too whilst doing it then that is an added problem, don't know weather conditions etc.... as long as they don't regularly sting you then under these circumstances I think they can be forgiven for defending their hive! Important lesson learnt, I have used all types off bee suits in my bee keeping life. Even tried none! At the end of the day, for the sake of two minutes putting a full suit on, it is better than a sting to the ......whatever!

I used to use smock - fine for everyday quick inspections, but for the more involved inspections I prefer a full suit. I recently bought a BB full suit. Nice quality, well designed, good discounted price through local association membership and free delivery. V helpful staff at BB too. Even if you give up, you could always sell it later.

acabee

When we started keeping bees in 2011 we bought full suits via google at low prices. they've done the job but!

Mine is a heavyweight cotton and is a killer in warm weather and takes forever to dry, my wife's suit is a lighter weight but the zip covers etc. leave a lot to desired.

When we can afford it we shall invest in new ones from one of the major supplies down in Cornwall.

We also use T's smocks for a quick feed check etc. or for apiary meetings when our full suits are grubby.

Tim

I have used a jacket with veil for three years.£38 Cornwall Honey Bees ebay (camo). This is my fourth year.

Perfectly satisfactory and prevents all stings to body IF you observe the following:

1. Loose fitting trousers. Tight jeans are an invitation to be stung so a nono.
2. Wellies (half length ok) with trousers tucked in.
3. Jacket waist elastic must be good enough for a good seal ditto round wrists or bees will creep up.

I am a mean ex Scot so spending £100 on a suit to boil in the summer (feeble joke).. is not fun.

If bees are really bad and it's cold I wear a full length mechanics boilersuit £38 from Amazon with no pass through pockets under my jacket.

Impenetrable..

Only stings now are on my hands.

(The above is from first year's experience of being stung through jeans and bees crawling up legs when wearing shoes/boots.)

Last edited:
I had a look a this Youtube video ... some good points raised by 'hedgerowpete'

Made me think, with the hat/ veil combinations, the lack of padding on a hat could be a problem.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0H5YS7cioQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0H5YS7cioQ[/ame]

Now, I didn't mean to do that ... having the Youtube clip embedded in my post, bu if it works, great !

Sheriff all the way

I have found the Sheriff suit good quality, comfortable and most importantly pretty much sting proof.
It is at the top of the range cost wise but if you are going to be following this hobby for any length of time you will not regret it, and if you choose to give up you will be able to sell a good condition one year old second hand Sheriff suit on Ebay for at least half of what you paid for it

Full suit. I went for a 'lightweight' one, primarily as the previous 'heavy' suit was far too hot and uncomfortable. It is brilliant - cool in the summer, but because it is lightweight you can easily put layers of clothes underneath when its cooler. It frays/shrinks less, and retains its shape. Its easy to move around in.

And given the amount of dirt/stains on the bottom half, that alone makes a full suit worthwhile.

Full suit. I went for a 'lightweight' one, primarily as the previous 'heavy' suit was far too hot and uncomfortable. It is brilliant - cool in the summer, but because it is lightweight you can easily put layers of clothes underneath when its cooler. It frays/shrinks less, and retains its shape. Its easy to move around in.

And given the amount of dirt/stains on the bottom half, that alone makes a full suit worthwhile.
Ah another nervous beek, lol

Just started beekeeping (this is my first post!) and using a full suit from Abelo which I find good, but can't compare it to anything else because its the only one I've tried.
Experienced people I've met seem to be impressed too, especially as it was only £50. It's a light sandy colour rather than white, whether that's good or bad? It doesn't have the large rings on the zips.
It doesn't have thumb elastic on the end of the sleeves so I be getting some stitched in place.

Think carefully about the veil, particularly if you wear glasses. Since I got my new varifocals I've had a very good view of the rather thick mesh, and a very poor view of what's on the frame. I've resorted to using cheap reading glasses, as someone suggested on this forum a few weeks ago.
One advert I saw in the BKA comic mentioned the fine mesh. One for me to follow up, perhaps.

Latest posts

Back