Choice of Bee Suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I recently attended a beekeeping course, and made use of a pretty thin, beekeeping jacket, hat and veil, which was provided ... It seemed OK.

Due to my ideal spot for a hive (singular) I now realise my garden wouldn't be suitable in the long run, with perhaps several hives. With this in mind, I have temporarily put my beekeeping idea on hold .... Or at least until I can find somewhere suitable.

However, I may have been given the chance to look after somebody else's bees in the meantime, which will give me a great opportunity to hone my recently acquired beekeeping skills. Great !

Just one thing, I do not, as yet have a bee suit of my own. Looking on t'internet there is a vast difference in price. Just from Thornes alone, there is a very cheap one at £8.50, like I used before and their top of the range suit is £133.

What are the pros and cons for going for the more expensive ones please

Thanks

Last edited:
The very cheap one is just for wearing as an observer, not bery practical for regular use. Try bbwear or sherriff - they are around about £100.00 each and are the dog's err....knees they will last for years. If you don't want to splash out that much, try fleabay for an indian cotton beesuit - I think it was by Buzz bee suits, it's pot luck but mine has stood the test of time (used as my spare now as my mam bought me a BB :D)
As a new beekeeper it is better to go for a full overall type suit - properly fastened it should keep any bee out so one less thing to get nervous about until you're really used to the bees

And wellies...bees like stinging ankles...

I suggest the cheapest busybwear one....all you need is 100% integrity from the neck up so don't bother with a full bee suit, just wear wellies

I suggest the cheapest busybwear one....all you need is 100% integrity from the neck up so don't bother with a full bee suit, just wear wellies

I'm afraid i beg to differ, the last thing a newbie wants is a bee in the belly button! :eek: for the sake of a few pounds extra the buzz full suit is what I'd go for (unless you want to splash out on a BB)

The best you can afford, as per Jenkins. If you get a bad hive of bees, even once, and get stung several times your confidence will go down the pan, start by getting stung as little as possible! Over time it may begin not to bother you, but to start with......be confident in a good suit.
E

Totally agree that he should start with reliable protection...
...but that only needs to be from the waist up.

.....Just wear baggy trousers and wellies.

On the course, I just wore a pair of jeans, then an old pair of waterproof trousers on top ... I taped up the pocket slots for week two onwards, having been stung on week one ... Bee crawling through pocket slit onto my stomach was one hell of a shock, for the bee I imagine, as well as me.

Totally agree that he should start with reliable protection...
...but that only needs to be from the waist up.

Utterly disagree with the last part.

As a beginner, one doesn't want to be be having any pat of your attention diverted by wondering if your 'builder's cleavage' has become exposed ...

The less you have to worry about, the better.
Whether cheap or good, it should be a full suit.

A £100 suit isn't an extravagance...
... IF you are going to be around bees for more than one season.

And if you are not going to be buying a few hives, nucs, feeders, frames, foundation, see-through crownboards, proper queen excluders - let alone an extractor and all that end of things ... then you ought to still have £100 in your piggybank.
If £100 seems horribly expensive, well, you had a narrow escape!

Hi – as someone in my 4th year and who had a hive of unpleasant little bees (the inspector even suggested I should re-queen after we were noisily “persuaded” back to his van over a considerable distance!:ohthedrama:) I would recommend going for a full suit and one that offers you the feeling of security you need to feel calm. It will be better for your enjoyment and I’m sure has an effect on the bees too.

For me, that meant an expensive one (from Sh…ff because my mentor said his zips lasted for years – I only hope he was talking about his beesuit…;)). I had started with a smock but found bees could crawl up under the elastic occasionally (usually just at a critical time) and had friends who had this happen to them too. Most friends with cheaper suits seem perfectly happy (although the zips broke quickly on one – not sure what make that was) but I’m sure they all bought from the known retailers advertising in the bee magazines rather than e-bay.

So the choice is up to you in terms of cost – I always end up getting the best I can afford when it comes to protective gear. I economise by making anything else that I can!
One thing I wish the associations or major bee magazines would do is decent product reviews. I used to do these in a previous industry I worked in and to considerable effect. I realise it’s all linked to advertising (and so money) and bad reviews won’t make friends (or money!) but it could really help us all I think. I hope I haven’t started something!

:iagree::iagree::Have kept bees for 18 months now as a newbie with a £100+ suit and never once been stung whilst wearing the suit and it has given me a lot of confidence when inspecting hives.
Feeling brave 10 days ago went out late afternoon with a waist up only top and veil on to clip a strip of grass 4+metres away from hive with a pair of hand shears and got stung twice on my leg and once in the gap between my trousers and top created unawares to me as I leant forward with the shears.
Lesson learnt will always wear my full suit from now on.

Good luck with your bees and enjoy them as I do, with much greater confidence I am sure, due to the extra outlay I made on a good quality bee suit.

Go for the best you can afford.

I bought a thickish one via my BKA - think it was Th***es.

Then got a good Sherriff. A brilliant buy.
Light material but it inspires real trust and confidence.
And things like pockets, zips Velcro etc are really well thought out.

I now need a third suit (yes, I know. But I go to 3 apiaries).
I will for sure get a full Sherriff.

Dusty

You are all forgetting that the OP isn't yet committed ....just wants security.
I reiterate suggesting he gets a Sherr or busyb smock.

I've had some vicious little bast+rds and my Sherrfs smock with thick trousers/wellies always coped.

You are all forgetting that the OP isn't yet committed ....just wants security.

I suggest going naked through town with a large feather up his fundament, dancing with a life sized cut out of Lembit Opik and wearing a neon sign declaring that all flourescent tortoises have rubber nipples.

For sure, the police will make an arrest under Section 136 of the Mental Health Act, the OP will get committed and find lots of security all around.

Simples.

Dusty

I suggest going naked through town with a large feather up his fundament, dancing with a life sized cut out of Lembit Opik and wearing a neon sign declaring that all flourescent tortoises have rubber nipples.

For sure, the police will make an arrest under Section 136 of the Mental Health Act, the OP will get committed and find lots of security all around.

Simples.

Dusty

Day off today is it Dusty?
Or are you sprucing up your CV in preparation for trying for the post of Manchester's new bishop?

BBwear and Sherriff full suits at about £130 and £100 are best in either fencing or round hat style. Swienty (from from Modern beekeeping) are good at about £60 (but only round hat type).

Last edited:
Very pleased with a full lysons suit - quality of zips and veil seem way better than one I got from m' mores. Feel very confident that it is bee tight. £55 inc delivery from ab3lo

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back