Chicken Registration by 1st Oct 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Many beekeepers keep chickens so this may be of interest. Compulsory Hive Reg next… (I do voluntary reg with BDU)

‘Under the changes announced there will be new requirements from 1st Oct for all bird keepers - regardless of the size of their flock - to officially register their birds. Currently only those who keep 50 or more poultry must do so, limiting the effectiveness of our national disease control measures.’

Many beekeepers keep chickens so this may be of interest. Compulsory Hive Reg next… (I do voluntary reg with BDU)

‘Under the changes announced there will be new requirements from 1st Oct for all bird keepers - regardless of the size of their flock - to officially register their birds. Currently only those who keep 50 or more poultry must do so, limiting the effectiveness of our national disease control measures.’
wow ... where did you find that bombshell ?

It's been possible to register smaller numbers for some time but to make it compulsory ? Not that I'm worried- I assume that it just makes it possible to contact backyard poultry keepers directly in the event of disease outbreaks - I can't think anyone will want to inspect or interfere. Again, not that I am concerned - our hens have always had the status of family members and get looked after better than some !

Last edited:
It's unclear to me whether this is already law, or just a press release announcing a planned change of the law. If the latter, given the current political situation I wonder if it will ever happen.

I also wonder whether they have any idea of the scale of the undertaking. There are an awful lot of people around here who just keep two or three hens as pets and for a few eggs each week.

James

I found it here

James
Yes...updated on the .Gov website yesterday. It looks like it is already enshrined in some legislation as it states it will be a legal requirement in England and Wales from 01/10/2024 and a bit earlier in Scotland. I don't think it's a big deal - just a bit surprised it snook in under the radar !

If everyone complied their register might go up by x100 or more, and annual update too - I doubt they could cope beyond just emailing notifications of outbreaks (which I already get).
How many households have a budgie, parrot, or pigeons too?
In reality lots of hobby level bird keepers probably won't even hear about the "requirement".

If everyone complied their register might go up by x100 or more, and annual update too - I doubt they could cope beyond just emailing notifications of outbreaks (which I already get).
In reality lots of hobby level bird keepers probably won't even hear about the "requirement".
What was that? Did you say something?

Indoor caged birds like budgies & parrots are excluded .. pigeons are included.

"The requirements will be set out in legislation shortly and keepers will also be legally required to update their information on an annual basis."

So legislation not in place yet and may never happen.

In Ireland it’s already a requirement to register your flock and have a flock number issued. Something to do with Birdflu and disease management I think. Bees are still voluntary from what I gather but when I registered, I never heard anything back so not sure how much resourcing goes into it.

First I've ever heard of it. I bet most pet chicken keepers never will either

Apparently a consultation was "announced" twelve months ago. But I imagine the announcement was probably left in a cellar in a locked filing cabinet abandoned in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard".

James

Apparently a consultation was "announced" twelve months ago. But I imagine the announcement was probably left in a cellar in a locked filing cabinet abandoned in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard".

James
Usual story, have a consultation and then do what they were going to do anyway regardless of the outcome.

Latest posts

Back