Chalk Brood and Sac Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Got small amounts of Chalk Brood ans some Sac Brood in the hive. I think it has been caused by the stress of travelling and setting up the hive. Everything in the hive is working well and the Q is still laying lots and lots of nectar/pollen being brought to the hive.

My question is when found should it be left alone for nature to take its course or should it be opened to let the bees clean it up?

Lots of info found about requeening etc but nothing to say what to do if only a small amount is found.

Thanks for your assistance

The colony will either recover or more likely it will get worse as the chalk brood virus spreads resulting in the loss of the colony during the winter.

The queen is susceptible to the chalk brood fungus ( don't know the latin name) and its best to cut your losses, requeen with a different strain as there's still time for the colony to recover before the Winter arrives.

Chalkbrood is a fungal disease and seems to be quite common. It is unlikely to kill your colony but will weaken it. You can buy stuff to treat but probably best to requeen and chuck out contaminated frames.

It sounds like you have only just got the bees if thats the case contact the supplier and see what they suggest

In my experience both of these conditions are temporary, and tend to sort themselves out with or without requeening. Chalkbrood is made worse by cold and damp, and I suspect by chilling from over-frequent inspections especially in cool weather.

For example one of my colonies had a chalkbrood problem for a month early in the season but has gone on to be healthy and LARGE with no 'help' from me..

In my experience both of these conditions are temporary, and tend to sort themselves out with or without requeening. Chalkbrood is made worse by cold and damp, and I suspect by chilling from over-frequent inspections especially in cool weather.

For example one of my colonies had a chalkbrood problem for a month early in the season but has gone on to be healthy and LARGE with no 'help' from me..

:iagree:

I had a chalkbrood hive this year, the hive wanted to swarm so i did an AS with the queen that giving chalkbrood. After the AS she stopped giving any Chalkbrood and her daughter sows no signs of it as of yet. So it was just a temp thing maybe due to the drive/re-homeing of her when i got the nuc

I don't agree - it might appear to get better but if a colony is susceptible it will return!

I don't agree - it might appear to get better but if a colony is susceptible it will return!

You don't accept the possibility that the reason it returns has to do with conditions within the hive and hive location etc?

I had chalkbrood earlier this year after splitting when the weather turned cold. I put insulated dummy boards and crown board as they were having trouble staying warm, and the problem went away.

I don't agree it is a "temp thing". I agree conditions will trigger / aggravate the disease.

Chalkbrood is a fungal infection (Ascosphaera apis). It is probably more likely to manifest in stressed or otherwise weakened bees. My opinion is that requeening only masks the problem in that the new Q may only revitalise the 'hygienic' characteristics of house bees (i.e. they are more likely to remove the infected brood 'larvae'). I have heard that salt sprinkled over the frame top bars has a similar effect (bees are stimulated to clear away the salt and any other debris in the hive, though the CB remains).

On another thread recently there was mention of an old remedy for chalk brood of putting salt along the top bards of the brood box. I have a small colony with a smattering of chalk brood, so have tried to see what happens. did this two days ago, bees are still flying today so havent killed them yet!

"Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more..."

I have had that deja-vu before... :)

"Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more..."

I have had that deja-vu before... :)

You mean another case of 'I forgot to search before postingitus'? It's a regular epidemic in forums you know. :)

Re queen is the best way forward,with a queen reared from stock that is not prone to chalk brood.

More deja-vu. There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza........

Thanks for all the interesting replies even the ones about me not searching the forum before posting.

Please read my original question which no-one has answered and I did search the forum and the answer is not there.

If you find some sac brood or chalk brood do you open them up to encourage the bees to clean it up or do you just leave it?

Latest posts

Back