Certan being withdrawn?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bienenwachs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all, on the latest Thorne’s newsletter it says that Certan is being withdrawn. Does anyone know the reason why?

A quick on line search isn’t coming up with any reasons but I can only find a couple of suppliers selling the 1 litre containers but none so far with the smaller bottle so possibly this is just a discontinued line rather than a problem with the product.

I have noticed this too - Vita website says “B401 is not currently available in the UK”. No further reason given, although it would therefore appear that it is still available elsewhere. They do not state or imply discontinuation.

Some beekeepers are using Dipel off eBay. It’s a powder you make up and is much cheaper than Certan anyway

Luckily just bought some Dipel! Certan bottle nearly empty!
E

Thanks all, I’d obviously not asked Google the right question so hadn’t found that.

Products based around Bacillus thuringiensis have been in use for a long time. Many years ago I was using it to spray on my allotment brassicas to protect against heavy caterpillar attack.

As I remember, some of these products came in vacuum sealed foil and were made up at the time of use. Unopened, they had a long shelf life. I cannot remember the cost, but have wondered if for small scale beekeepers Certain in its current form is expensive because it may go " out of date" before it can be used?

VITA NEWS RELEASE

Beekeeping wax moth control product to be superseded

4 September 2019

Developments are well underway to replace B401, the highly respected biological wax moth control product used by beekeepers, with a new and similar product B402. To comply with the new regulatory environment, B401 will not be available in the UK when current stocks run out. B402 is nearing completion of its development and is expected to go on sale in the USA later this year and, as soon as possible thereafter, in the UK.

Sebastian Owen, commercial director at Vita Bee Health, said, “It’s disappointing that we have had to stop supplying B401 at such short notice. The product has been on the market for many years approved under an older regulatory regime, but the changing regulatory environment requires us to submit data that is not feasible to collect at this time. We have therefore decided to focus on the development of a similar and equally effective product, B402. We expect this to be available in the USA later this year and are currently investigating the quickest regulatory routes to market for B402 in the UK.”

Like its forerunner, B402 is a preventative treatment to control wax moth. It is a biological product that is safe and environmentally friendly. Its application will be similar to that of B401 and, like its predecessor, will provide very high efficacy against wax moth.

XenTari

With no sign of B402 coming on the market, what are people planning on using instead? I've seen US beekeepers talking about using XenTari, available on Amazon, which seems to have the same active ingredient.

Has anyone tried it? Would it work?

With no sign of B402 coming on the market, what are people planning on using instead? I've seen US beekeepers talking about using XenTari, available on Amazon, which seems to have the same active ingredient.

Has anyone tried it? Would it work?

Posts 3 and 4
Use it at 10% which is 10 grams per litre for clarity

Last edited:
B402 approved in US this year

Valent Biociences will partner with Vita to market in US. They also market the other Bt treatment you mentioned

B402 will need EU and UK license applications as we are no longer involved in any new license applications. From a commercial perspective expect companies to go into EU first prior to separate UK license application once the EU license approved.

With no sign of B402 coming on the market, what are people planning on using instead? I've seen US beekeepers talking about using XenTari, available on Amazon, which seems to have the same active ingredient. Has anyone tried it? Would it work?

Earlier this year the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was in the process of registering a product containing Bacillus thuringiensis, subsp. Aizawai strain ABTS 1857 (Bta ABTS 1857) to prevent and control wax moths in beehives.
XenTari contains Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies aizawai (Bta) that controls caterpillar pest, whilst DiPel contains Bacillus thuringiensissubspecies kurstaki (Btk).
This paper/study https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232172737_Evaluation_of_Bacillus_thuringiensis_aizawai_and_neem_for_controlling_the_greater_wax_moth_Galleria_mellonella_Lepidoptera_Pyralidae “Evaluation of Bacillus thuringiensis aizawai and neem for controlling the greater wax moth Galleria mellonella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae)” makes some interesting points; at the end under discussion “......... NeemAzal T/S has the advantage of a higher efficacy than XenTari and of controlling simultaneously the Varroa mite Varroa destructor (Liu, 1995; Melathopoulos et al., 2000), without being harmful to bees (Leymann et al., 2000).. .….......” and “.......the registration of NeemAzal T/S and Xen Tari for protection of honey bees against wax moths and Varroa mite should be considered.........”

B402 approved in US this year

Valent Biociences will partner with Vita to market in US. They also market the other Bt treatment you mentioned

B402 will need EU and UK license applications as we are no longer involved in any new license applications. From a commercial perspective expect companies to go into EU first prior to separate UK license application once the EU license approved.

That is if they bother with the cost and effort of obtaining a UK licence.

very true. As far as I'm aware, current plans are for MHRA & VMD to fast-track newly approved EU humans and veterinary medicines if an application applies for a UK license. Whether its worth a company doing this will depend on the potential market share, negotiated reimbursement price and cost of setting up / maintaining a UK specific operation. All the mutual recognition scheme for products licensed in the rest of EU will all dry up as we become a third party country

I use DiPel at a rate of 1.5g per litre. Not 10g.

Seems to work at this dilution as well, for me anyway.

Latest posts

Back