Certan being withdrawn?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very true. As far as I'm aware, current plans are for MHRA & VMD to fast-track newly approved EU humans and veterinary medicines if an application applies for a UK license. Whether its worth a company doing this will depend on the potential market share, negotiated reimbursement price and cost of setting up / maintaining a UK specific operation. All the mutual recognition scheme for products licensed in the rest of EU will all dry up as we become a third party country

I imagine what will happen is MAHs will drop their UK licences. That way they won't have public or product liability, won't have UK pharmacovigilance responsibilities and will be unshackled from UK price constraints. What that means for the availability and prices of Certan and other bee husbandry products lord only knows.

I imagine what will happen is MAHs will drop their UK licences. That way they won't have public or product liability, won't have UK pharmacovigilance responsibilities and will be unshackled from UK price constraints. What that means for the availability and prices of Certan and other bee husbandry products lord only knows.

I'm not sure what's best ... the present highly restrictive market for bee medicines or a potential free for all if licensing was unshackled ...

Rock and a hard place I reckon !

The problem appears to be that Bee health products are governed by the same regulations as animal meds in general - where the market size differs so dramatically. There appears, to my simple logic, to be case for product licencing costs to be related to the size of the market and potential sales .. another case of us suffering from one size fits all regulations.

Already in place.
VMD have a system called MUMS - Minimum Use Minor Species. Bee medicines qualify for this. still need plenty of data, paperwork and money to get a license

I'm not sure what's best ... the present highly restrictive market for bee medicines or a potential free for all if licensing was unshackled ...

Unshackled? More like as not create a monopoly for vets.

"but the changing regulatory environment requires us to submit data that is not feasible to collect at this time. We have therefore decided to focus on the development of a similar and equally effective product, B402"

This just makes no sense to me. Surly B402 will have to comply with the same regulatory requirements as B401.

I have ordered some XenTari to try. I have never used it before, but my google research said it will work.

To all you people saying what strength concentrations you make, can you also say how much solution you spray on per frame?

Thanks.

<snip>

This just makes no sense to me. Surly B402 will have to comply with the same regulatory requirements as B401.

<snip>

It will but different products work in different ways meaning that it is easier to obtain data on some products because they are more straight forward in the way they work. It may well be that B401 is no longer able to comply with new regulatory standards or that the work required to prove that it does is now simply too great.

Will B401 and B402 use the same active ingredient?

If so, I suppose there could be an issue with one of the other ingredients. In which case it may be easier for them to reformulate.

I have a suspicious mind and wonder if they are more concerned with falling efficacy of B401, not something they would want to advertise.

Out of curiosity has anyone experienced B401 not working as well as it used to?

Back