Making good use of new (late season) Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all. I am exiting the season with 11 strong-looking hives (though I have one which was 'query-queenless' on latest quick inspection at the weekend, plus one which was in a similar position a couple of weeks prior which was not opened this week - noting though there is now plenty of pollen coming into that hive, so fingers-crossed).

I do have a handful of healthy nucs on the go (5), but I now wished I had maybe one or two more (to satisfy my future plans and to provide contingency) - especially if I am going to potentially burn a couple of those nucs up on making-good pre-winter Queen losses - let alone any potential winter losses.

There are still Queens available to buy (just!), and I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy a couple (whilst I still can) to make up some nucs, or something along those lines. I know it's very late, but most of my full hives could theoretically spare a frame of bees and brood each to support such an action.

Is this (buying a couple of Queens now) even a sensible thing to consider? If so, I am really struggling to define a plan of attack - one problem being that all boxes are all still undergoing Apiguard treatment (so I don't really want to be opening them up - less still pulling their brood nests apart).

... in which case, would anybody here have some ideas to help me strategise? I was thinking e.g. that I could create 2x 3-frame nucs with least possible disruption, and introduce new Queens to these initially, getting them laying; thereby putting me into a "holding pattern" until I decide later in the month what I need to do with them.

... but then, they (small nucs) would probably struggle to deal with the wasps at present anyway.

Hmmm... maybe just leave well alone and be happy with my lot for this year ?! Thoughts welcome. Maybe I am just getting over-excited by the last flush of Queen availabilty this year.

Is this (buying a couple of Queens now) even a sensible thing to consider?
Made up 20 x 3fr nucs last week in BS boxes and fed Invertbee; knocked down a few EQCs five days later and gave a caged Q; broke the tab 7 days later; pollen going into most, still feeding; entrances down to one bee space.

One nuc was wasped but caged Q fine, so swapped its place with a stronger box and made up another. Wasps not an issue this week, but the ivy is opening. Making up another 30 next week.

Risk is part of the game but experience will be gained (at a cost); Apiguard is an awkward factor that may spoil the party.

Risk is part of the game but experience will be gained (at a cost); Apiguard is an awkward factor that may spoil the party.

Thanks Eric. Very interested to hear what you have done. 3-frame nucs seem like they could be a goer. However, yep - risks.... I learned last year that making late nucs is a gamble. I made one which looked to have gone into winter OK (strength and stores), but wasn't stong enough in the event, and succumbed to isolation starvation.

Having weighed up the risks (not just vs. the success of the nucs, but also the (albeit modest) depletion of existing colonies at this sensitive time) - particularly in regard to both my current Apiguard and wasp situations ... I have decided to leave well alone this year. I think I was getting ahead of myself. I need to remind myself that:

1. at this moment, I really need to focus on getting nice, strong colonies
2. my wife tells me I meddle too much. Whilst I justify myself by telling her that I am a "beekeeper" and not merely a "keeper of bees", I do have to accept that she is always right :)

Thanks Eric. Very interested to hear what you have done. 3-frame nucs seem like they could be a goer. However, yep - risks.... I learned last year that making late nucs is a gamble. I made one which looked to have gone into winter OK (strength and stores), but wasn't stong enough in the event, and succumbed to isolation starvation.

Having weighed up the risks (not just vs. the success of the nucs, but also the (albeit modest) depletion of existing colonies at this sensitive time) - particularly in regard to both my current Apiguard and wasp situations ... I have decided to leave well alone this year. I think I was getting ahead of myself. I need to remind myself that:

1. at this moment, I really need to focus on getting nice, strong colonies
2. my wife tells me I meddle too much. Whilst I justify myself by telling her that I am a "beekeeper" and not merely a "keeper of bees", I do have to accept that she is always right :)
They are alway right no matter what we say.
I was trying to watch gardeners world just, and earlier.

what should be a 1hr program has now turned into a 3hr recap gardeners world athon.!!

Last edited:
I have two surplus queens and thought of setting up more nucs.

We have so many wasps this year it would be a waste of time.

I am still having wasp problems at an out apiary but the home apiary is ok so I still have mating nucs in play. The weather is set warm for a week and there are plenty of drones so I am being greedy and will hopefully get a few more mated queens to go into nucs.

Latest posts

Back