New Long not so deep Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
The stand next to Bees Abroad at the tradex this year was Hyde hives so I had plenty of time to look at their products and have a natter - they're obviously aiming for the 'high end' of the market (beekeepers who are more concerned about the container than the bees within) but fair play to them, the quality and finish of the hives was top rate, I had glimpsed one of their products last year but had more time to have a good look last Saturday - it's a good idea and for the beekeeper who for whatever reason finds humping supers a serious or even impossible chore and is not too concerned with the honey production aspect. It's a nice piece of kit and a better alternative than a Kenyan top bar hive.
Unlike the Dartington it uses National deeps rather than jumbos (although being a bespoke item it can be in whatever format you desire) and is not designed to take supers but honey is harvested off the far end much the same as a KTBH, having an entrance each end you can pop a divider in to split the colony for artificial swarm and is basically the length of three brood boxes.
I forgot to take a photograph of the other bit of kit they had which was a bit longer and was a battery of eight nucs for queen rearing.
Lifting the roof is a cinch as it's on a hydraulic ram.
they had already sold six by mid afternoon (as I said, built to order) and at prices ranging between 350 and 500, a damn sight better than that monstrosity the beehaus.
Are we seeing a resurgence of the horizontal hive?

Attachments

• LD Hive 1.jpg
    LD Hive 1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 159
  • LD Hive 2.jpg
    LD Hive 2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 148
  • LD Hive 3.jpg
    LD Hive 3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 131
It’s a ready made bloody coffin!!

I think you’ve just put me off my GNT....

Did you meet the Swiss bloke on the stand next to GasVap? Inventor of a nifty electronic device for vaping oxalic acid. About twice as long as a smart phone. Integral battery. The pan is heated by induction (Oops, forgotten what that is - scraped a pass at O level physics 1957), quicker than Varrox. Treats about 20 hives on one charge. Very tempting - at 400 Euros......

Last edited:
Ah, but yours is a long and deep, not the same as the title...... :)
I remember when you first posted those.
Absolutely lovely.
Do you still use it or are you completely Payne’s?
These are lovely.
I’ll have one if you ever make any to sell ;)

Attachments

• B18D529B-26E9-4EE5-BF5C-A09FE43D448A.jpeg
    B18D529B-26E9-4EE5-BF5C-A09FE43D448A.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 72
Now I've seen the candlestick – Art Nouveau with its sinuous organic lines and Arts and Crafts with the use of quality materials and emphasis on utility in design comes to mind.

Discovered these last year, after getting a swarm into my Langstroth bait hive at the mother in laws she wanted to keep them and get involved but weight and handling was too much due to age & arthritis.
I spoke to Dean from Hyde Hives and he couldn’t help enough, he made her a 48 frame version in cedar, clear crown boards and sorted the height of the stand so she didn’t have to bend too much. Then to top it all fitted delivery to Liverpool into one of his routine trips up to Preston.
The delivered item is a work of art and as the swarm survived the winter in my old Langstroth they will have a beautiful new home in the next few weeks.
Cost wise IMO was cheap for the quality and in reality you get everything from stand, 4 x brood box, 2 x QX, 4 x CB, a solid divider, 2 x dividers with porter bee escapes, roof with gas assisted struts, OMF & pull out inspection boards. (Frames & foundation not included)
Hyde Hives gets my thumbs up and the mother in law is looking forward to becoming a new beekeeper

It was my first hive and started out as a Tanzanian TBH until I realised that it would be better with frames so I took it apart and the frames I bought were 14 x 12 .. the length was established on the basis of the 25 frames I bought ! It's a double walled construction with 30mm of polystyrene sandwiched between Victorian 1" floorboards inside and some sort of hardwood pallet wood on the outside. Bees love it ... not occupied over the winter this year but it is in regular use as a donor hive as it really produces very big colonies. I thought I'd invented it originally until I discovered Robin Dartington had got there years before me. Theee are a few things that are unique.. the drawer at the base for varroa inspection boards and the detachable mesh floor. Downside ... when there's bees in there it needs a forklift truck to move it ... and it took forever to build...

It's a nice piece of kit and a better alternative than a Kenyan top bar hive.

Because it has frames, I'm assuming?
We've a KTBH and manipulate it as you have described for swarm management and honey extraction.
It's always popular with the children and they don't seem to have any problem manipulating the top bars once instructed.

Hi guys,

It's a bit of an old thread and I'm always that last to get invited to the party......

I'm Matt from Hyde Hives if anyone has any questions about our long hives I'll be more than happy to answer them, thanks to the original poster @jenkins for the shout out

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_212306_888.jpg
    IMG_20200926_212306_888.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200918_231847_642.jpg
    IMG_20200918_231847_642.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200918_231847_647.jpg
    IMG_20200918_231847_647.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back