cell punches

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus nucs
Seasons greetings to everyone.

I am going to make some cell punches. They seem to be made from 10mm brass tube, would it matter if they were made from copper or steel tube. Dowel
piece to fit tube. Cheers.

I made mine from copper pipe and sharpened the end. Just as good as steel...(results disappointing due probably to my incontinence.. sorry - incompetence)

As far as I can see it won't make a blind bit of difference.

The important bit is a very strong starter colony. Check out Norfolk Honey Company vids on youtube for exactly that. Best example I have seen.

PH

Can I add my honest thoughts: I started raising queens a few seasons ago, using the Nicot System, I had some success the first year, I always disliked caging the queen in the system. At the beginning of this season I tried the Nicot system again, after caging her for 12 hours she had laid up most of the cells, I released her and waited for the eggs to hatch, after three days I looked and the bees had removed all the eggs! So I had wasted the best part of 5 days (putting the cage into the hive for 24 hours before I caged the queen). Well the long and short of it all I decided to graft. Using a Chinese grafting tool I have successfully grafted and raised over 200 queen cells. It really is not that difficult to do, I watch loads of Youtube video's. My first graft was a little nerve racking but I purchased a pair of magnifying glasses with a built in LED light. I have ever taught 3 other beekeepers to graft. To me 'cell punching' seems far more difficult than grafting.

I will say that your cell starter and finishing colonies are the answer, far too many beekeepers fail because of poor cell starting colonies. This season I used the 'cloak board' method with excellent results.

As a parting note all I'd like to say is give grafting a go, it really is not that difficult.

Can I add my honest thoughts: I started raising queens a few seasons ago, using the Nicot System, I had some success the first year, I always disliked caging the queen in the system. At the beginning of this season I tried the Nicot system again, after caging her for 12 hours she had laid up most of the cells, I released her and waited for the eggs to hatch, after three days I looked and the bees had removed all the eggs! So I had wasted the best part of 5 days (putting the cage into the hive for 24 hours before I caged the queen). Well the long and short of it all I decided to graft. Using a Chinese grafting tool I have successfully grafted and raised over 200 queen cells. It really is not that difficult to do, I watch loads of Youtube video's. My first graft was a little nerve racking but I purchased a pair of magnifying glasses with a built in LED light. I have ever taught 3 other beekeepers to graft. To me 'cell punching' seems far more difficult than grafting.

I will say that your cell starter and finishing colonies are the answer, far too many beekeepers fail because of poor cell starting colonies. This season I used the 'cloak board' method with excellent results.

As a parting note all I'd like to say is give grafting a go, it really is not that difficult.
My experience of Nicot first time in 2017.. is that it worked well but was flow dependent.

I have tried for years to rear queens with strong started colony, but success has not been certain. When I graft to swarming cells, the result is 90%. Fat queens.

Last summer I put Miller comb into a swarming colony and it give best results compared to grafted combs. I have Nicot system too.

I read from article that the colony should be 3 days without Queen and then do grafting. Last summer, even if the colony was on swarming fever, bees started to make Queen cells on third day. IT was 2 box hive and I took another box away with Queen.

Very easy to get 15-20 high quality queens.

Last edited:
Very easy to get 15-20 high quality queens.

I agree, colonies in swarming mode are good for raising grafted queen cells, usually only good for one round of cells though.

Seasons greetings to everyone.

I am going to make some cell punches. They seem to be made from 10mm brass tube, would it matter if they were made from copper or steel tube. Dowel
piece to fit tube. Cheers.

BIBBA publications
ISBN 0 905369 10 6
ISBN 0 905369 02 5

S/H or reprints are available.
First is being rewritten and due for publication ( along with a number of out of print proper beekeeping books) in the New Year.

Blydhen Nowydh Da

I made some punches this year out of rifle casings but TBH never got round to using them. I intend giving it a try next year for the hell of it.

Years ago at a roup (google it) I was standing on a tree stump and saw into the nuc box that was being shown around and for 50p bought not only the box but the cup kit inside it. A good deal for £40 worth.

So I duly caged the queen after spraying the cage with syrup and letting the bees use it for a few days and surprise she laid it up neatly.............

Avoiding the plugs one by one so I ended up grafting out of it.

Grafting is easy and simple. If I can do it anyone can and if your eyesight is an issue go see a good optician. My grafting glasses were £40 from ASDA and they were very intrigued by my specifications. :)

PH

Latest posts

Back