CBPV that won't go away, or die off

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your best bet is to change the queen for an unrelated one.
I’ve done this three times this season requeen that is and it did sort it out funny enough my local stock haven’t had it at all , I do wonder if bought in stock are more susceptible?

Only a percentage of the colony appears to be affected the rest operate as normal in most circumstances.
Presumably there would be a threshhold of infected individuals which would tip the balance resulting in hive failure.

I just wonder whether temperature manipulation might be a means of weeding out the more infected individuals on the assumption that the effects of paralysis would be exaggerated at colder temperatures?

I’ve done this three times this season requeen that is and it did sort it out funny enough my local stock haven’t had it at all , I do wonder if bought in stock are more susceptible?
I wrote earlier that it was only my orange bees that succumbed but I have had a case in black bees this year. They seem to be pulling through on their own. I am dithering about re queening them still as they have nevertheless brought in a lot of honey.

Has anybody body here had a colony with CBPV in the winter?
I have only ever had it in the summer
Have wondered that myself as you’d expect a good winter cluster to be ideal for transmission.

Presumably there would be a threshhold of infected individuals which would tip the balance resulting in hive failure.

I just wonder whether temperature manipulation might be a means of weeding out the more infected individuals on the assumption that the effects of paralysis would be exaggerated at colder temperatures?
Temperature manipulation to any great extent in hives is hard, you only need to look at that Varroa oven contraption. It’s a gimmick and in no sense practical for a hive outside a research centre.

I do wonder if bought in stock are more susceptible
All of my cases have been in black bees in some of my more well established lines
Have wondered that myself as you’d expect a good winter cluster to be ideal for transmission.
I believe, a bit like EFB flareups, summer stress leads to the bees not being able to cope with it themselves.

All of my cases have been in black bees in some of my more well established lines

I believe, a bit like EFB flareups, summer stress leads to the bees not being able to cope with it themselves.
Summer stress or varroa levels maybe, I guess atm there’s not enough info. I would think possibly more stress on a colony in winter though as a period that produces more general losses.

Summer stress or varroa levels maybe, I guess atm there’s not enough info. I would think possibly more stress on a colony in winter though as a period that produces more general losses.
I was alluding to the added stresses on a colony in the summer - massive buildup of brooding, overcrowding, coping with a big flow which puts added pressure on nurse bees, housekeepers etc which means they take their 'eyes off the ball' when it comes to basic brood rearing hygiene etc.

I’m sure I tipped my colony over by demareeing too early then there was a forage lull.
The queen is back laying well and they have stopped throwing dead/dying bees out.

Temperature manipulation to any great extent in hives is hard, you only need to look at that Varroa oven contraption. It’s a gimmick and in no sense practical for a hive outside a research centre.
I wasn't suggesting any 'contraptions' to control temperature. More a case of choosing appropriate environmental conditions as a part of a hive management technique?

I was alluding to the added stresses on a colony in the summer - massive buildup of brooding, overcrowding, coping with a big flow which puts added pressure on nurse bees, housekeepers etc which means they take their 'eyes off the ball' when it comes to basic brood rearing hygiene etc.
I imagine also that there is a higher viral replication rate at higher temperatures and greater mobility of infected individuals at higher temperatures as well.

I’ve been reading as much as I can about this as i’m obviously concerned for the bees in one of my apiaries showing signs and one colony not doing well.

Some people have suggested separating the queen and nurse bees from the flying bees has been successful and I assume euthanising the colony with flying bees who seem to be more symptomatic.

I have also read that feeding can help flush out the virus, my concern with that is robbing (therefore spreading) but maybe if combined with above, feeding the better half of the colony.

Giles Bulge who is studying the virus has indicated that varroa levels appear to be very low in colonies with it, I wonder if they have better grooming characteristics which in turn spreads the virus. He says there’s a 40% survival rate but not sure if that’s without any attempts at rectifying it.

I’ve given space, although it seems many people are reporting this makes little difference.

I have removed the mesh from the omf and inserted the tray which I empty daily of dead and dying bees (a mid way solution to no floor).

One colony showing signs of it outside the hive but not so much inside, I have spilt to see if the nuc side raises a new queen and shows no signs 🤞.

Tend to agree with that. My experience to date is with the locals - black bees. Interestingly it seemed to follow after early spring build up which nosed dived into cold wet and windy as the bee population expanded rapidly. They lacked stores and have been fed with thymolised syrup for the last week or two, they are in an insulated long deep hive, planning to check them out again in the next few days

Interesting thanks for that my three cases have been in none local stock , all three needed feeding after not collecting much spring honey I agree it’s caused by stress of some kind high varroa levels ? In all three colony’s in spring also .

Some people have suggested separating the queen and nurse bees from the flying bees has been successful and I assume euthanising the colony with flying bees who seem to be more symptomatic.
I think maybe your losses would be much lower if you let the sick bees simply fall out.
Are the house bees still removing dead bees from the tray you left in the bottom? Ie are you seeing dead/dying bees in front of the hive?

Latest posts

Back