CBPV that won't go away, or die off

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So not much point in me getting a student to survey beekeepers about it next year?
I think there is. It’s getting more common these days.
Some people report that treating for varroa fixes it too. I should think DWV might just be another viral stressor that tips the colony over.

Well, not proven, but a bit more than just anecdotal

Survey and studies sponsored by the BFA - led by Prof. David Evans
Dani is correct…….it was done a number of years ago though and I’d suggest if there was an issue the breeders would have looked at it already. As I have seen myself such bees can be less prone than a neighbouring local mongrel hive!

Dani is correct…….it was done a number of years ago though and I’d suggest if there was an issue the breeders would have looked at it already. As I have seen myself such bees can be less prone than a neighbouring local mongrel hive!
Or maybe just the data was skewed by the survey target? if you only ask bee farmers, you would expect a high incidence of people using Danish bees (they are good, no point denying that)
If you asked BIBBA members then the results would show an overwhelming number of local mongrels suffering CBPV

Your best bet is to change the queen for an unrelated one.

i have it two colonies both of which have my strain A which makes them daughters of one of my preferred strains....

Dani, your point is to use a new strain altogether in these colonies...does it mean other 'A' strain queens need to go too? I've had good queens from this strain for 5 years

Dani, your point is to use a new strain altogether in these colonies...does it mean other 'A' strain queens need to go too? I've had good queens from this strain for 5 years
No because other factors tip a colony into disease
I would be assiduous in varroa control and manage overcrowding and trust that the others might be ok.

No because other factors tip a colony into disease
I would be assiduous in varroa control and manage overcrowding and trust that the others might be ok.

ok...having lost a colony i dont want risk of spreading when i see the signs....wonder if i should be quite harsh to stop spread....also have supers on them with nicely drawn comb etc...

Well how about moving them away and letting them get on with it. Can you organise a site somewhere?

Our allotments had 4 hives- local mongrels. All had terrible CBPV.
Over the past two years I have requeened three to a mix of Buckfast/Carnie/mongrel.
No more CBPV.
Out of interest, how long did it take for them to recover after you requeened? Did you requeen when they were at the worst of the infection? Just dealing with it now and wondering what your experience was.

Out of interest, how long did it take for them to recover after you requeened? Did you requeen when they were at the worst of the infection? Just dealing with it now and wondering what your experience was.
Done progressively in stages.The initial CBPV outbreak affected all hives - they are in a confined space on an allotment. SO 2020 terrible.
2021 requeening. By mid year no evidence of disease.
2022 No evidence.
Sorry for being vague.

Is there any relationship between incidence of CBPV and insulation?

Is there any relationship between incidence of CBPV and insulation?
doubtful - know quite a few bee farmers hard hit with CBPV, not only do they think insulation is witchcraft, they all have gaping holes in their crownboards!

So are those running poly or more insulated hives, less affected then?

doubtful - know quite a few bee farmers hard hit with CBPV, not only do they think insulation is witchcraft, they all have gaping holes in their crownboards!

...so there could be a relationship between insulation and CBPB then? ;)

Do you know by any chance how frequently those colonies have been re-queened?

Presumably infected bees don't cluster as effectively? If that is the case then insulation might help more infected bees survive into the following year? Conversely lack of insulation might otherwise weed out infected hives?

Done progressively in stages.The initial CBPV outbreak affected all hives - they are in a confined space on an allotment. SO 2020 terrible.
2021 requeening. By mid year no evidence of disease.
2022 No evidence.
Sorry for being vague.
no that’s great, think I was hoping it all happened quicker than that but good to know it was successful, thanks

Latest posts

Back