Caught swarm today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone, just a couple of questions relating. Bait hive not 20 foot from my five hives. Very busy with scouts over the past week or so. Weather was too bad here in Ireland to inspect last couple of weeks so just kept an eye on all. Today a swarm left from one and flew straight to the bait hive with no stop between. Watched while it emerged shortly after 3 pm. Was delighted that they picked the bait hive, poly nuc box. Question, do I wait until evening when they are all in, before moving it to a stand. Its on top of my potting shed at moment.

I need them back where my other hives are.

Next question is, I will want to put them into a wooden nuc hive. Will I need to wait a few days first.

And do I feed them then or not?

Your thoughts please, as never caught a swarm in this way before.

Hi everyone, just a couple of questions relating. Bait hive not 20 foot from my five hives. Very busy with scouts over the past week or so. Weather was too bad here in Ireland to inspect last couple of weeks so just kept an eye on all. Today a swarm left from one and flew straight to the bait hive with no stop between. Watched while it emerged shortly after 3 pm. Was delighted that they picked the bait hive, poly nuc box. Question, do I wait until evening when they are all in, before moving it to a stand. Its on top of my potting shed at moment.

I need them back where my other hives are.

Next question is, I will want to put them into a wooden nuc hive. Will I need to wait a few days first.

And do I feed them then or not?

Your thoughts please, as never caught a swarm in this way before.
If bees are now settled after swarming you can not move them as they will fly back to orginal site. 3 feet 3 mile rules applies. Yes feed them if if weather bad

If bees are now settled after swarming you can not move them as they will fly back to orginal site. 3 feet 3 mile rules applies. Yes feed them if if weather bad

Thanks a million for your reply. Going to check now. Am ready & all. Shall I wait a few days to feed. And how long before I can change them into a different box?

Thanks a million for your reply. Going to check now. Am ready & all. Shall I wait a few days to feed. And how long before I can change them into a different box?

You can feed now I would wait until queen laying before transfering

I would leave them in the box they're in until you have them in their final position. Their stomach's should be full of honey right now,if the weather's good they should start foraging, are the frames in the box drawn? They will need feeding if it's all foundation and the weather is bad.

Last edited:
If the swarm arrived today and they are all in you CAN move them back.
If they are in a nuc box it will probably be too small for a prime swarm. I'd transfer tomorrow if weather permits and pop a piece of QE over the entrance for two days.
No need to feed if forecast is good and they are foraging.

Oh, definitely, what she said :iagree:

So sorry, my mum always told me that she, is the cat's mother.

Last edited:

I've caught swarms from my own apiary and put them straight back into the same apiary within feet of the original hive. No problem whatsoever as they hadn't had time to orient to the capture position. I'm sure I read somewhere the swarm doesn’t orient for a day or two depending on weather.
Any bees who "get lost" from either the swarm cluster or new location either go back home to the parent hive or beg entrance to a nearby colony.
Your choice about swapping boxes but I would give them a few days to draw comb etc and arrange the furniture and decor then swap the frames over.

as ever with this beek lark there is a difference of opinion. I thought a swarm in a new home will need to build lots of comb and feeding syrup until they have drawn out the foundation in the new brood box was advised - even if there is a flow on it enables them to expend their energy on brood rearing rather than comb building. Isn't this why we also feed nucs at this time of year when they move into a bigger home?

Or have I got it wrong?

I find there is enough bee jobs at this time of year without adding feeding a hives swarm on top of that. I prefer to let bees do what they do best and forage for their own sustenance

If the swarm arrived today and they are all in you CAN move them back.
If they are in a nuc box it will probably be too small for a prime swarm. I'd transfer tomorrow if weather permits and pop a piece of QE over the entrance for two days.
No need to feed if forecast is good and they are foraging.
:iagree:
All good advice, move them tomorrow and they will orientate to wherever you put them - any later and you'll have to stick to the rule of threes.
Feed a few pints of 1:1 but not too much or they will just store it in the comb they've just drawn thus no room for queenie to lay. As you know the provenance of the swarm, there is no need to wait a few days for them to 'lock in' any nasties they have in the honey they're carrying before feeding.

sorry i disgree, a swarm consists of mainly young bees who have not foraged , the swarming instict takes away the "return to base" instinct and therefore thec 3ft 3mie rule l does not apply in the first few days

move them wherever you want in the evening at Dusk or Early morning at dawn, but do it soon

Trust me, i have collected many many swarms

see a prime swarm collected last week being walked in

https://youtu.be/PzsJ9oKH-Js

This is the bait hive with swarm going in. Thank you all for all your help..much appreciated as always.
5c46fcc32ce6b5dd62b32a66e06c9c42.jpg

Is it not worth treating them with oxalic before the queen starts laying?

Is it not worth treating them with oxalic before the queen starts laying?

They are a swarm from one of my hives. The mite drop is low in all my colonies. I treat in August after honey removed & again around Christmas. I will leave them now to settle in.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back