caught swarm advice on whats next plse

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than 4
Caught swarm shook into brood box with a couple of frames . do I leave sealed up overnight?

Looking to fill out with frames early am tomorrow only got foundation

do i feed 1 to 1 syrup?

thanks guys

We dont normally feed until 48 -72 hours after hiving as this will allow the bees to use up all the stores they are carrying to build wax. Should they be infected with something then it will be tied up in the wax. If you know it is one of your
own swarms this wont apply though (as long as you dont have EFB or something else).
Hopefully, as they only have 2 frames, they wont choose to build wild comb elsewhere, they may though so be prepared. Foundation is ok.

As for sealing up overnight, I dont but not that experienced yet so I'm sure someone else will come along. Some put a QE under for a few days, I dont do that either, doesnt mean I'm right but there is more than one way to skin a cat:.)

dont leave it sealed up in this heat, you can feed them after a few days they may not use it but it is there if the weather turns.

thanks for advice guys would a couple of strips of apistan o help clear any varroa be a good idea?

Can't see your location on the phone but apistan is ineffective in many areas of the country as the mites are resistant to it. As they've no brood, you could treat with oxalic acid as a faster treatment. I treat all incoming swarms with OA as a matter of course.

Caught swarm shook into brood box with a couple of frames . do I leave sealed up overnight?

When you next check them, expect them to be building wax from the crownboard.

When you next check them, expect them to be building wax from the crownboard.

Why do they do that? Or is there no reason!

if given the choice they will usually build wild comb, that is why frames are used to make it easier for us.

if given the choice they will usually build wild comb, that is why frames are used to make it easier for us.

Okay I get it - that explains a bit what mine are currently doing :rolleyes:

Why do they do that? Or is there no reason!

couple of frames

Swarm? Wax building mode?

If a decent sized prime, two frames of foundation would likely be insufficient for the number of bees. If they were old comb, the bees would almost certainly be well advanced with new comb from the crownboard. They may even disregard the manky comb and build elsewhere.

hi Oliver90owner

thaks for comments

just got back home with swarm, actually there are two frames of foundation intend to fill out with more foundation tomorrow AM any further advice gratefully received
James

Latest posts

Back