Cassette Style v Standard Extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodenBeam

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
Hi Folks. The latest trend with extractors seems to be swinging cages to hold frames that then almost extract in a tangential fashion - anyone have any experience of these? More efficient than the traditional radial frame type? No difference?
Cheers in anticipation

Not seen one but did have in the past a 6 basket swinging extractor that did 12 frames a run. That machine effectively was tangential and it took 3 runs per batch of frames. Mainly bought for Heather purposes.

If you have no Heather to worry about I would pass them by and buy radial.

PH

More efficient than the traditional radial frame type? No difference?
Cheers in anticipation

The G forces at the edges of tangential extractors are higher than most radial extractors produce over the whole frame, so technically more efficient in extracting honey, but much slower to extract overall due to usually needing three runs to avoid breaking the frames. You need to half extract one side, turn over extract, turn over and extract.
Although someone was telling me that some of the fancy cassette types turn over for you without having to take frames out etc. Be worth checking that point out.

As already mentioned if you have a lot of heather well worth having one especially if you get an auto like Fritz produce, I have just bought a 20 frame Fritz radial myself with tang screens as the little heather I have does not warrant the extra cost of the swing cage system.

Latest posts

Back