• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

carniolan queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes gentle bees and the first bees to be hanging in a nice ball from your neighbours apple tree and then perhaps later in the year.

If you practice organic beekeeping then why don’t you breed local queens?

I do that as well. Organic bee keeping is about what you are not putting in your hives ie chemicals. Different bees have nothing to do with they way you keep your bees. After 32 years of bee keeping if you get me a native bee that does all the things a buckfast & a carniolan do then I will give them up. Here we goooooo

Agree with Tom Bick - the Carnie queens I bought produced very nice tempered bees but they are buggers for swarming. I've replaced the lost queens with other stock.

The Carniolan bee is known for its calm character, stillness on the honeycomb, good orientation, and utilization of forest forage; its advantage lies in its rapid spring development, good cleaning instinct, disease resistance and frugality because it over-winters in colonies with a relatively low number of bees. Its disadvantage is a tendency to swarm. This is in fact primarily the result of the beekeeping method – in their work, the beekeepers are slow to keep up with the bees’ fast spring development and fail to expand the hive space in time.

The Carniolan bee is known for its calm character, stillness on the honeycomb, good orientation, and utilization of forest forage; its advantage lies in its rapid spring development, good cleaning instinct, disease resistance and frugality because it over-winters in colonies with a relatively low number of bees. Its disadvantage is a tendency to swarm. This is in fact primarily the result of the beekeeping method – in their work, the beekeepers are slow to keep up with the bees’ fast spring development and fail to expand the hive space in time.

The German beekeepers have selectively bred Carnies for low swarming tendencies :).
The problem with Carnies is , open mated queens (F2 hybrids) can throw up some anti social tendencies !
The UK is an over crowded group of islands , the last thing beekeepers need is adverse publicity from a largely urban population being attacked by stinging bees whilst strolling around the countryside :).

VM

This is in fact primarily the result of the beekeeping method – in their work, the beekeepers are slow to keep up with the bees’ fast spring development and fail to expand the hive space in time.

Nope - mine were quite happy to swarm before filling out the brood box.

The German beekeepers have selectively bred Carnies for low swarming tendencies :).
The problem with Carnies is , open mated queens (F2 hybrids) can throw up some anti social tendencies !
The UK is an over crowded group of islands , the last thing beekeepers need is adverse publicity from a largely urban population being attacked by stinging bees whilst strolling around the countryside :).

VM

We all do selection for low swarming tendencies.
Same problem is with other races when you mix them. Gene for aggressiveness is dominant gene. Strict selection is the only solution.

We all do selection for low swarming tendencies.
Same problem is with other races when you mix them. Gene for aggressiveness is dominant gene. Strict selection is the only solution.
These islands are dominated by native type bees, fact.
Yes other sub species are around lingusta for one .
Experience demonstrates that the Carnie, native cross does produce a higher ratio of aggressive bees !
Lot's of new comers to the hobby are lulled into buying Carnies by their calm gentle nature plus the availability of them at a competitive price .
The problem starts when the newbie firstly becomes overwhelmed by early swarming and subsequently by encountering aggressive bees which are the result of open matings with local drones .
Horses for courses is a saying here goes , which I think fits the case in point .

Vm

We have Carnis, and it's frankly a miracle I've managed to control them considering our problems. We've been lucky with requeening. She's a beginners dream!

We have Carnis, and it's frankly a miracle I've managed to control them considering our problems. We've been lucky with requeening. She's a beginners dream!
Hi kaz , she's probably an F1 (First cross) , these are usually ok, It's the second and subsequent crosses that can become bees from hell !

VM

Hi kaz , she's probably an F1 (First cross) , these are usually ok, It's the second and subsequent crosses that can become bees from hell !

VM

Thanks VM. What's the difference? In ***** terms please, if you will lol ;)

Hang on! We not allowed to be i di ot s now? Haha :p

Last edited:
I started with Carnies last year with 2 hives. After 5 swarms this year, I am requeening..

And before I'm told it was due to a lack of room, they were in TBHs with unused topbars...

"And before I'm told it was due to a lack of room, they were in TBHs with unused topbars..."

yes - but were the top bars outwith the useable broodspace.

i would imagine that armed with a TBH or Dartington, Polyhive would be fairly deft at managing the brood space such that swarming was reduced.

I agree John,and lovely bees our native Buckfasts are.

About Buckfast:
Today the main Buckfast varieties have influences mostly from A.m. ligustica (North Italian), A.m. mellifera (English), A.m. mellifera (French), A.m. anatolica (Turkeish) and A.m. cecropia (Greece).... http://www.beesource.com/point-of-v...uckfast-breeding-program-past-present-future/
+ Under trial today among Buckfast breeders are A.m. monticola (East African mountains), A.m. sahariensis (Marockoan oases), A.m. meda (Iran) and A.m. lamarckii (Egypt).

Causes of Swarming:
* The population has grown too large and the hive is too small.
* Not enough room to store honey.
* The temperature is too hot. With higher temperatures, more space is needed for each bee to maintain a cooler temperature.
* The hive does not have proper ventilation and air drainage. If the bees cannot ventilate the hive properly and temperatures rise, they will be likely to move out of the hive.
* High humidity and poor ventilation make the hive unbearable for the bees.
* Problems with the queen. Especially older queens have a tendency to fail to produce in times of high production of the colony.
* Disproportion between open and sealed brood. More sealed brood and lots of nursery bees without work would lead to swarming.

Importance of drones:
75% of workers heritage come from drones! only 25% from queen.
That make dones much more important for breeding concept...

Latest posts

Back