capturing the queen then

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? You should read Finny’s post properly before making stupid comments like yours.

Shame you can't contribute anything positive to the forum these days, just a load of denigration and claptrap.
There are people dropping out of this forum because of your comments.....says it all.
Don't you think it's time you retired your piss and vinegar replies?

Last edited:
]Good for you mate.
Bit asinine to assume everybody else is as good as you at spotting forum messages though!

A much faster and less stressful method is to move the brood box away from the home spot.

Pair the brood frames x 3 so a total of 6 frames.

Go away and leave them totally alone for half an hour or so and the queen will be inbetween one of the three sets due to wanting to be away from the light.

Obviously be very sure she is not on the frames not in the BB..... :)

Works a treat.

PH

This my third summer of beekeeping with an average of three hives, I am a little embarrassed to say I have never spotted the queen without help in all this time. I rely wholly on finding eggs to prove the presence of a queen. Just can't spot her but when someone else finds her for me she is quite obvious. But then I can put a screwdriver or a cordless drill down and fail to find it two minutes later despite looking at it!:ohthedrama:

Very good idea from @beefriendly here

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=669185&postcount=30

would be good for folks like me struggling with wheres wally !!

Can't take the credit, it's an old idea that actually works. Depends on bees and temperament there are several ways to locate HM.

I have never had any joy with frame pairing although I've tried it numerous times....in fact the guy who first showed me couldn't find his queen that way either. But so many people swear by it; so it must work for some, but not a method I have any confidence in....unless just 2 frames alone in a brood box.

Shame you can't contribute anything positive to the forum these days, just a load of denigration and claptrap.
There are people dropping out of this forum because of your comments.....says it all.
Don't you think it's time you retired your piss and vinegar replies?

Oooh that's not very Beeingfriendly!

I have invariably found Finman and Oliver90O's advice and comments to be valuable and sensible, yours on the other hand....... not always.

Lighten up.

I now constantly carry a Turn and Mark cage in the left breast pocket of my suit

If I spot HM and need her for anything, I can lay the frame on the bb and have the cage and its plunger out and ready without taking my eyes off HM - Enrico's right, you'll lose her if you look away !

I now constantly carry a Turn and Mark cage in the left breast pocket of my suit

If I spot HM and need her for anything, I can lay the frame on the bb and have the cage and its plunger out and ready without taking my eyes off HM - Enrico's right, you'll lose her if you look away !

I lift the frame with queen out of hive if I do something to the queen.

Pairing the combs to find the queen can work well.

Attachments

• arrange frames in pairs.JPG
    arrange frames in pairs.JPG
    356.5 KB · Views: 60
  • open pair in upturned roof to find red queen.jpg
    open pair in upturned roof to find red queen.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Pairing the combs to find the queen can work well.

thanks very much for all this info folks ... really is very helpful to newbies like me

now I need to speak to google and see if they can arrange a floating circle "head up display" application when i next am knee deep in bees :)

thanks very much for all this info folks ... really is very helpful to newbies like me

now I need to speak to google and see if they can arrange a floating circle "head up display" application when i next am knee deep in bees :)
Can I just add my thanks for the pictures as I really didn't get the description of the process but now I do.

LOL I like the one with the sun over the left shoulder.... says it all really.

It's Scotland so what sun where?

PH

Huge show tha queen capturing.

Push so much smoke that the queen goes under the hive.

This my third summer of beekeeping with an average of three hives, I am a little embarrassed to say I have never spotted the queen without help in all this time. I rely wholly on finding eggs to prove the presence of a queen. Just can't spot her but when someone else finds her for me she is quite obvious. But then I can put a screwdriver or a cordless drill down and fail to find it two minutes later despite looking at it!:ohthedrama:

I found one on the CB And wanted to mark her this year but stupidly put in on top of the brood box so down she went and couldn’t find her after that and doubt I will now, I find it depends on the colour of her I think oranges queens and easy dark ones not so much

Oooh that's not very Beeingfriendly!

I have invariably found Finman and Oliver90O's advice and comments to be valuable and sensible, yours on the other hand....... not always.

Lighten up.

:yeahthat::iagree: RAB's post are always bang on the money .. he's been on here a long time and I don't think I've ever seen bad advice in his posts. He may not be a fluffy bunny but he's inevitably right. There's a few on here these days who just seem to like the sound of their own voice - right or wrong in the advice they give. If anyone is driving people away from the forum it's those rattling cans ...

:yeahthat::iagree: RAB's post are always bang on the money .. he's been on here a long time and I don't think I've ever seen bad advice in his posts. He may not be a fluffy bunny but he's inevitably right. There's a few on here these days who just seem to like the sound of their own voice - right or wrong in the advice they give. If anyone is driving people away from the forum it's those rattling cans ...

:iagree::iagree:

Latest posts

Back