Captured Swarm Advice Needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinneame

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
So I took up bees 4 weeks ago and have finished building my hives. Last Saturday I got a call from a mate who had a swarm in his garden. I went and captured my first bees! I think I got the Q in the first dump as the remainder filed in dutifully.

So for the last week I have them at home and am watching carefully. After 48 hours I removed the queen includer and commenced feeding. They are drinking 400ml of syrup a day.

Comb is extending nicely, on 4 frames it is within 1 inch of the bottom of the frame although It will take them some while to fill the frames completely. They have 7 frames in all in a 10 frame medium Langstroth.

My problem is, I cannot see any eggs. 1 in 10 brings home pollen, and the majority of cells are filled with nectar. Some newer cells are empty. I suppose I must have a virgin from a cast? If so, wil she breed with the drones she brought with her? Does this count at inbreeding?

So I took up bees 4 weeks ago and have finished building my hives. Last Saturday I got a call from a mate who had a swarm in his garden. I went and captured my first bees! I think I got the Q in the first dump as the remainder filed in dutifully.

So for the last week I have them at home and am watching carefully. After 48 hours I removed the queen includer and commenced feeding. They are drinking 400ml of syrup a day.

Comb is extending nicely, on 4 frames it is within 1 inch of the bottom of the frame although It will take them some while to fill the frames completely. They have 7 frames in all in a 10 frame medium Langstroth.

My problem is, I cannot see any eggs. 1 in 10 brings home pollen, and the majority of cells are filled with nectar. Some newer cells are empty. I suppose I must have a virgin from a cast? If so, wil she breed with the drones she brought with her? Does this count at inbreeding?
probably a virgin queen present, I would have expected a prime swarm to be laying after a week. I wouldn't worry about inbreeding just worry about her mating successful

If weathers are good, virgin will do its mating flights. It needs 20 C temp during 3 days.
Such weather is not promised to Cantebury.

Last edited:
probably a virgin queen present, I would have expected a prime swarm to be laying after a week. I wouldn't worry about inbreeding just worry about her mating successful

Thank you! I was really hoping for a prime, but at least I have some bees to practice and improve my skills.

Thank you! I was really hoping for a prime, but at least I have some bees to practice and improve my skills.

enjoy, learn from your mistakes never make the same mistake twice. you will never be an expert, I started when I was 16 I am now 48. every year is different

If weathers are good, virgin will do its mating flights. It needs 20 C temp during 3 days.

Cannot see how this can be vital - otherwise successful mating of queens in the UK would be virtually non-existent!

Are they out foraging?
How is the weather forecast?
If yes and good to OK then you should stop feeding. Yes, it might help them draw comb but they will immediately fill it with the syrup you are providing leaving the queen no place to lay when she eventually gets mated.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Martin, as per the advice from David on the Canterbury website - just leave them alone for a week!

Your plans (as posted on the Canterbury forum) are a recipe for over-interference.
My plan is to inspect every 24 hours at dusk until they are settled. I am reluctant to leave it all to chance. I want to know comb speed, comb distribution, egg laying etc. Then to rearrange if required. I am considering removing empty frames and moving the end stop in as well. My hunch is it is a prime, but only sight of eggs will confirm this.

Are they out foraging?
How is the weather forecast?
If yes and good to OK then you should stop feeding. Yes, it might help them draw comb but they will immediately fill it with the syrup you are providing leaving the queen no place to lay when she eventually gets mated.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
So it seems that there is a dichotomy. Feed and they fill the cells, stop feeding and reduce comb building. Aghh! Its not easy is it.

The weather here is variable, sometimes sunny, then cold and rainy. Roll on the sunshine!

So it seems that there is a dichotomy. Feed and they fill the cells, stop feeding and reduce comb building. Aghh! Its not easy is it.

feed is only given to help start the building, you don't need to feed continuously bees can manage fine without, keepers that want lots of honey don't want the bees wasting time and energy on building wax, but it's your first, just let them be bees

Cannot see how this can be vital - otherwise successful mating of queens in the UK would be virtually non-existent!

Yep. UK bees forage in rain and in December, but why they do not mate in May?
However Italian bees and Carniolans are same as in Finland.

feed is only given to help start the building, you don't need to feed continuously bees can manage fine without, keepers that want lots of honey don't want the bees wasting time and energy on building wax, but it's your first, just let them be bees

OK, many thanks for the advice. :thanks:

I must say, this beek lark is such good fun, I am thoroughly hooked.

My virgin went out to mate in 16 Deg C, last week.(probs had her thermals on) but will look in a week or so to see if she did the business.

Latest posts

Back