Can't get a queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When people refer to the term 'produce a queen cell from 3 day old larvae' in context of tearing down cells to prevent casts, is that from the point of hatching? If so, why have I heard people tearing down the cells after 4 or 5 days and not 7 days? If there are eggs present during A/S then they would still be viable as queen cells until the 6th day if it is from point of hatching.

Oliver are you wound up by any chance? I APOLOGISE if your initial post was intended in good faith. In my opinion it was yet another show of arrogance that so often blights your undoubted knowledge. It should have been possible for you to make your point to Sharon without being so patronising, your initial post was full of ridicule.

is that from the point of hatching?

Yes. Think about it, beeks graft with larvae, not eggs, for queen rearing. Recently hatched larvae afford much better results than larvae over a day old, but thety will still produce queens.

When people tear down later cells, timing might depend on when the queen stopped laying, when counted from - like age of an open cell left at the A/S.

And dont get muddled between parent colony and A/Sed queen colony. The old queen colony nees checking earlier, because she could go on sealing a 3 day old larva.

Like everything about beekeeping, giving the particular scenrio some real consideration is better than following some advice given by some plonker on utoob , or even on the forum. Beekeepers learn by thinking - not by assuming, guessing blindly or following advice from all and sundry, because what they hear suits their timetable.

RAB

Update today June 8th.
Bees very busy despite weather being very windy & thundery with localized down pours.
Outside hive activity seems back to normal.
Bees even bringing in pollen.
At least I could go out in the garden today without being attacked.
Next job will be to inspect brood chamber again for additional q cells.
It will have to be tomorrow as way too windy today.
Sharon

Love Beekeeping <3

In my opinion

Not got a lot of confidence in any of your opinions. All my replies are as factual and correct as I can achieve, often with having to call for clarification or some actually useful information. If you don't like them, don't read them. You are not really worth bothering about, so I am not 'wound up' as you suggest. Your replies are worth about as much as the value I put on your opinion. Nowt. And you have not exactly offered any advice or made any useful addition to the thread either. Just sitting on the sidelines and sniping.

Get it? Grow up and myob. I can read the tone of your last post, so just go away and complain elsewhere.

I would dare to say some of your posts have been far less than useful. In fact, I can't remember any that have been remotely useful at all.

Ok great, does this mean you won't appear on any of my threads? Does it mean I can come on here and ask advice without wondering when you will show your sharp tongue and make certain I look like the novice I really am? Whilst at the same time boosting your own ego? Trust me I really can survive without you - so let's go our own way from here.

'scuse me, but there's no real need to drop into somebody else's thread to try to start an argument. :nono:

If you don't want to read what a particular member of the forum writes, just click the appropriate button and ignore them.

In my opinion

"Not got a lot of confidence in any of your opinions". "All my replies are as factual and correct as I can achieve", often with having to call for clarification or some actually useful information. If you don't like them, don't read them. "You are not really worth bothering about", so I am not 'wound up' as you suggest. Your replies are worth about as much as the value I put on your opinion. Nowt. And you have not exactly offered any advice or made any useful addition to the thread either. Just sitting on the sidelines and sniping.

Get it? Grow up and myob. I can read the tone of your last post, so just go away and complain elsewhere.

I would dare to say some of your posts have been far less than useful. In fact, I can't remember any that have been remotely useful at all.

I thought the idea was to help each other on the site not pick up on silly grammatical errors, as for "Not got a lot of confidence in any of your opinions. "All my replies are as factual and correct as I can achieve" says you! Someone else might disagree, that is the whole point of having multiple answers to a question. I think one thing most people on the site can agree on is that you are a very knowledgeable miserable old Curmudgeon. If I where you I would not let the carers take time off so often.

Hi,
Just checked hive today june 9th, for additional q cells. And yes it has more, some capped and some open charged. Had to abort then as bees got extremely angry with wind blowing.
Now I need to relax over a cuppa and decide what to do next.
Hive very full of bees and alot of capped brood in there now.
Was going to just leave a frame with one capped q cell which is lying beside an open charged one .
Should I remove another frame with an open charged q cell, frame food and brood and make up a nuc. Sure to get one mated queen in the end.
Or should I do a split?

Love Beekeeping <3

I'd just stick with the one hive personally - no more splits. I can't remember now but was the original cell you left a viable one (or do you think it was) if so, that's all you should keep - good chance these later ones are from older larvae so not as good for queen production.

I'd just stick with the one hive personally - no more splits. I can't remember now but was the original cell you left a viable one (or do you think it was) if so, that's all you should keep - good chance these later ones are from older larvae so not as good for queen production.

This colony has never been split. They are a big colony. It's going to be a nightmare going through every single frame with all the bees in it.
Is there a way I could deplete of flying bees just until I get through all the frames to remove the cells I need to?
Don't know how I didn't get stung today. They were not happy. Being q - and weather thundery, humid and windy, not good for them at all.
This job will have to be done regardless of weather conditions or they will start throwing out casts. I have to do it tomorrow.
Sharon

Love Beekeeping <3

This colony has never been split.
No, but it has swarmed - same diference

Is there a way I could deplete of flying bees just until I get through all the frames to remove the cells I need to?
I meant one QC not hive! to temporarily deplete hive of flying bees. move it three feet away leaving a box/hive/ whatever in the original spot and go and have a cup of tea (Empirical measure that, most problems in the world could have been resolved if people just took a while, had a cup of tea and then revisited the problem) or maybe two - and a biscuit if you're that way inclined.
By the time you return to the hive, most of the fliers should be in the box wondering where all the furniture has gone - you will then have a lot less bees to wade through to find the QC's.When you've finished put the hive back in the original position and the 'new' box three feet away and they'll soon sort themselves out.

Latest posts

Back