Cane sugar !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor meldrew

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anyone noticed that Tate and Lyle no longer call their granulated white sugar Cane Sugar ?
Their packaging also carries a warning about its salt content , the result of the manufacturing process .
In fact they don’t give a clue as to the source of the sugar at all .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

"In October 2010, American Sugar Holdings (ASR Group) acquired the EU sugar refining businesses of Tate & Lyle PLC, namely Tate & Lyle Sugars and Sidul.

ASR Group is one of the world’s largest integrated sugar businesses with sugar mills in the United States, Mexico and Belize. ASR Group is the largest sugar refiner in the world with an annual processing capacity of approximately 6 million tonnes.

In North America, ASR Group owns and operates seven sugar refineries in the USA, Mexico and Canada. Products are marketed under the Domino®, C&H®, Florida Crystals® and Redpath®brands."

If I thought it didn’t matter , I wouldn’t have posed the question.

Ok so do you want to give us a clue as to why you think it matters, as far as I am aware cane or beat it makes no odds

Ok so do you want to give us a clue as to why you think it matters, as far as I am aware cane or beat it makes no odds

The question is self explanatory,
My motive for asking the question was introduced by yourself !
Last year , their products were clearly marked ‘ cane sugar ‘
This year , brand new package design with no reference to the origins bring Cane or Beet !
I have no wish to expand this into a tit for tat dialogue of the relative merits of either !

The question is self explanatory,
My motive for asking the question was introduced by yourself !
Last year , their products were clearly marked ‘ cane sugar ‘
This year , brand new package design with no reference to the origins bring Cane or Beet !
I have no wish to expand this into a tit for tat dialogue of the relative merits of either !

I’ve found a clue rather than an answer .
Tate and Lyle Uk! Stated that in 2017 the Eu removed the cap on Sugar beet quotas , thus creating a bonanza for the French growers , causing a glut !
Maybe Tate and Lyle have subscribed to the theory, “If you can’t beat them, join them “.

I looked information about Tesco's cane sugar.

Origin United Kingdom.

Produced in UK.

Tate & Lyle

Last edited:
I’ve found a clue rather than an answer .
Tate and Lyle Uk! Stated that in 2017 the Eu removed the cap on Sugar beet quotas , thus creating a bonanza for the French growers , causing a glut !
Maybe Tate and Lyle have subscribed to the theory, “If you can’t beat them, join them “.

“If you can’t beet them, join them “:winner1st:

Tis Friday night !

Nos da

Hi,

I had a protracted post on Glyphosate residue in sugar and its safety.
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43119
The upshot of which was that I had no need to be worried about it, as it's use on EU sugar beet was safe.

The only caution was with cane sugar from the Americas where Glyphosate was much more widely used on sugar cane. I was reassured
"Just don't buy US sugar and you'll be fine. "

So I think the dropping of the "cane sugar" source on sugar packaging will muddy the waters for anyone wishing to avoid possible glyphosate contamination in their sugar..

Thanks for the heads up Victor Meldrew.

Nordicul

Hi,

I had a protracted post on Glyphosate residue in sugar and its safety.

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43119

The upshot of which was that I had no need to be worried about it, as it's use on EU sugar beet was safe.

The only caution was with cane sugar from the Americas where Glyphosate was much more widely used on sugar cane. I was reassured

"Just don't buy US sugar and you'll be fine. "

So I think the dropping of the "cane sugar" source on sugar packaging will muddy the waters for anyone wishing to avoid possible glyphosate contamination in their sugar..

Thanks for the heads up Victor Meldrew.

Nordicul

Cane sugar production relies on animal char in it’s filtering process .
Just to add fuel to the fire . Excuse the pun but if you can’t beet them ,join them .

Char as in charcoal I think !

Latest posts

Back